Rambo

How can i help my Male dog be comfortable around a female in heat

I have a male Amstaff mix and he is not neutered. He is about 1 and half years old. He has been whining and trying to hump everything in sight and cannot sleep or get comfortable at night. I spoke to his vet and they said it is because there is a female in heat somewhere in our neighborhood. The only advice they gave me was to make sure his penis doesn't get stuck out. Is there anything else i can do to keep him comfortable and calm? I am noticing that i am getting a lot of answers regarding getting him neutered. He does have an appointment to get neutered but it's not until next month. So any help besides the neutering would very helpful

Asked by Rambo on Jun 30th 2009 Tagged femaleinheat, uncomfortable, humping, mounting in Other Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Please read the full question everybody, Rambo said they have a neuter appointment next month.

In the meantime... I guess just do your best to tire him out with plenty of exercise so that he doesn't have EXTRA pent-up energy... that's about all you can do.

Kolbe answered on Jun 30th.

Answers

Zackintosh CJ

Sorry, but a un-neutered male dog + an un-spayed female dog is not good, unless you plan to breed.
There is no way to keep a male dog "comfortable" around a female in heat. The male dog will do ANYTHING to get to that female, I've heard of dogs breaking through fences and out of crates.
The only way to make your dog feel better is to get him neutered. An un-neutered dog will be very unhappy if theres a female in heat nearby as well as being prone to more health issues and un-neutered dogs usually have aggression and marking problems.
So how can he be comfortable? Get him neutered.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 6/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kayak

Well this is a loaded question, only because you are going to get bombarded with the same answer I'm gonna give you. GET HIM NEUTERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are about 30 homeless pitbulls in the shelter near me plus many other breeds.
It'll take about 6 weeks for the testosterone to get out of his body. Then you'll find that your life will be a lot less stressful and his health will be better.
And you'll get much more respect from the responsible dog owners on this site. I am and I'm sure others are sick to death of questions like these when the answer is so simple and has been repeated over and over and over...................

Kayak answered on 6/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

Sorry but the best answer is that he should have been neutered a bit earlier.
Right now he is actually going thru a very stressful time because nature tells him one thing and your telling him another and good old mother nature is always right.
He is a mix, please keep your appointment to get him nuetered.Call your vet back to see if they will give him an injection of hormones till you can get him fixed. Good Luck

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on 6/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

the dog has to be neutered.
there is nothing you can do it is driving him insane to know a female is near in heat.
make sure he stays home in a fenced area.