How can I help my dog overcome her fear and distrust of other dogs?

My dog Sunshine is 3 years old. I've had her since she was 10 months old. Over the last couple of years while walking her around my neighborhood, she has been attacked several times by 3 diff dogs (different days) and now, she is terrified of Most dogs. She will growl, show her teeth and even snap at other dogs - i hate this behavior but, i don't know how to correct it. I'm at a total loss as to what to do.

I have been taking her to dog parks the last few months hoping that would help her but, some days she's ok and other days she's horrible - She doesn't kno how2interact w/ (play) w/ other dogs so I don't know if when she growls if its to tell other dogs to go away or if she's trying to play w/ them - what signs can i look for in her bc i don't kno how to read her but if i tell her to be nice, then she'll stop growling, uncurl her lips and be peaceful for a few min.

How can I help her overcome this fear? Please help me w/ some advice/suggestions? I'm clueless as 2 what 2 do!

Asked by Member 992444 on Jun 14th 2010 Tagged socialization, dogsgettingalong, dogfriends, dogpark, dogpark in Socialization

Answers

Maverick

I would recommend contacting a professional dog trainer since aggression is involved. Try to be calm and be patient. Good luck. I'm sure she can overcome this soon. Sorry I couldn't be more help. :)

Maverick answered on 6/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Don't mean to be mean at all and I am not but if my dog was bit and attacked several times then the Last place I would go is a Dog park. That is got to be the most traumatizing thing for your baby, he is being forced to look strange dogs, many, face to face.
You need to buy books on positive training and positive reward systems. No more dog parks that is a disasterous place to take her. And at this point not even fair to other dogs.
Being attacked usually lasts a lifetime... they do not forget.
I hope for the attackers you at least call the proper authorities about it. Unleashed biting dogs are not safe and are not allowed to roam around doing that. be careful.