Bella

How can I help my dog not be too protective of me?

My dog is a sweetheart. Great around our family and friends. But whenever I am alone with her, whether we're home, out for a walk, in the car or whatever, she freaks out whenever someone comes too close. My husband says she's just being protective of me because I am pregnant, especially because she is only like that when it is just she and I, but I worry that this aggressive behavior won't stop once the baby is born and I don't know what to do. We thought about taking her to classes, but I don't know where to start. I don't want to get rid of her or god-forbid, have something happen where I would have to put her down but she is difficult for me to keep under control when she gets like that. Any help?

Asked by Bella on Mar 17th 2009 in Aggression

Answers

Katie

Hi Bella!
As a Shepherd mix, you do have a protective role bred into your genes, but you need to relax and trust your owner to protect you!
You are also young and energetic, which is a challenge for your pregnant human. I only have 1,000 characters, but here is my advice:
1. Exercise - lots of it - will reduce your anxiety and extra energy. Playing off-leash with other dogs at a park or beach is great!
2. If you can afford it, find a reputable trainer/behaviorist to work with you and your family on your issues. One-on-one is usually more helpful than group classes, but...
3. If you have a PetCo or PetSmart nearby, you can find group classes that should help with some of the basics.
When I first came home from the pound, I was a crazy-puppy, and my family got a trainer who came to our house. Here is a link to her website: www.k9techsupport.com
Also, read The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell, Ph.D. She has good examples of how to help.

Katie answered on 3/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You have to socialize him around other dogs and people.
Getting enrolled in a class can help.
If you get involved with a trainer they can see what is wrong and why they are out of sorts.
I don't know if your dog is shepherd or not.
If you have no history you are guessing but any breed can display aggression.
I never single out a breed. Not all dogs are social around other things all the time. That's why we have to train them and be dedicated. I have never given up and I have had some tough ones. Not just a herding breed.
Most likely the dog is showing Fear. And fear stems from her not getting in different situations/people/dogs and much more.