How can I help ease my dogs fears?

I just recently rescued a dog from an owner that didnt want her anymore. She was born in a puppy mill has been in 2shelters and had 3owners prior to me. She shows signs of being abused and negelected. She is afraid of just about every sound from doors closing to dogs barking to the dryer running. I have to coax her to eat and she has no intrest in toys or treats. What can I do to help make her more comfortable and reassure her that she is safe and home?

Asked by Member 1104256 on Apr 5th 2012 Tagged fear, abuseddog in Fears & Phobias

Answers

It will take some time. Remember to have peaceful, calm energy throughout the house. You might try playing classical music in the background. Another option is to get her a thunder shirt so she feels more secure and/or spraying a calming spray in her area and on her directly. I personally like PETfection Calming Spray because it is 100% Organic. The scent will promote relaxation and help her feel more at ease. Hopefully over time she will become less fearful! Best of luck.

I agree that you being calm is the most important thing. I think it's a natural gut response to want to coo and comfort your dog when something scares her, but it's more effective to act like it's not scary when you can. So, instead of bending over, picking her up, and frantically petting her, say, in a light, happy voice, "that's just the door closing, baby girl!" Then bend over and give her head a quick little scratch and go about your business. This one probably goes without saying :-D, but give her lots of calm attention and cuddles. Ask her to sit, and, if she doesn't know how or doesn't do it, gently push her butt down (you are teaching her to "ask" for attention, then pick her up into your lap or sit down next to her. Wrap one arm around her, and give her long, slow pets down her back with the other. If she wants to lick your face, let her. This shows her that you accept her affection and that she's part of the pack, which comforts her and makes her feel more secure.

Jake

It will take time. A lot of time. I had an extremely abused border collie before Jake. It took him about 18 months to be comfortable with everything. Buddy, was afraid of everything you could think of. Sometimes he would just shiver with freight. During thunder storms we had to get the vet to prescribe phenobarbital to calm him down. You just have to have a lot of patience.

Jake answered on 4/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maggie Mae

Hello, my answer was too long, but if you want I posted it here www.facebook.com /frombadtowag
I really feel this will help you. It's posted on 5/16/2012

Maggie Mae answered on 5/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer