how can i help a traumatized dog back to his original self?

i have a 1 1/2 yr old long haired mini chihuahua who was startled by a mouse the other day. he was not bitten but i think it squeaked at him and ran towards him or over his paw somewhere around my living room area. he is usually a playful, sociable dog but is now terrified of my other dogs or people(except for my roommate and myself), he doesnt want to play, or walk around on the floor. he puts his ears back as if he is scared and he huddles in a corner and wont come when called and starts to shake violently until i go pick him up and hold him in my lap...which he will not move out of unless i pick him up and place him somewhere else. as long as he is in my lap or sitting by me he seems fine. i love my dog as if he were my child and i dont know what i can do to help bring him out of his traumatized state. can anyone please help me im desperate to have my lil dog back

Asked by Member 905348 on Oct 26th 2009 Tagged traumatization, scared, unsociable in Fears & Phobias

Answers

K-10 Von Canein

You have a really mixed up dog. That breed can normally survive in the Mexican desert on it's own, eating mice, etc. An Elephant trainer may be able to help you more than a dog trainer. I am not trying to be rude, but at least a dog trainer may be able to help. I doubt it though. Why don't you catch a mouse in a trap, then let your dog eat it. This may help more than anything!

K-10 Von Canein answered on 10/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Please don't listen to anyone who tells you there is something weird or wrong with your dog. I'm sometimes really shocked at how rude, unhelpful and downright uninformed some answers can be here.

It's perfectly normal for any dog to be traumatized or scared by something. Dogs are individuals and certain things can startle any dog at any time.

He had a good fright. And it's perfectly normal for him to be scared.

The best thing you can do for him though is NOT to coddle him or baby him in any way. Dogs respond to this as a validation of the fear. It's like, "Hmmm, she's acting weird, so it MUST be a scary thing."

The best thing you can do is to go into a strict routine. Dogs thrive on predictablity and that builds their confidence immensely. Walks, feedings and play sessions at the same time every day will help him feel secure again. It just takes time.