Chewy

How can i get rid of my dogs gas?

Hi, since we switched my lab onto Kirkland healthy weight dog food he has had gas and he has been on the food for a little over a year.He is not overweight we just give him this food so he can maintain his slim strong figure.He eats two and half cups of food twice a day with 1/4 a cup of chopped up carrots mixed in.He is over 100lbs and the bag says dogs of that size need 5 to a little over 6 cups daily. So he eats 5 1/2 cups of food in one whole day.How can i get rid of his gas? he has had it since we switched to this new dog food.

Thankyou.

Asked by Chewy on Feb 21st 2011 Tagged dog, gas, newfood in Pet Food

Answers

You might switch foods. "Healthy Weight" is just advertising, they have ZERO evidence that it helps dogs lose weight or stay at a good weight. A weight loss dog food just contains more filler and less meat, so you're actually paying for less real food! It's really not necessary to use diet foods at all, just watch his waistline and adjust how much you feed him as necessary.

In short, I'd switch to the regular Kirkland instead- it might be all the indigestible filler in the "Healthy Weight" that's giving him gas. And skip the carrots, unless he seems to really like them... they do nothing for him, they're completely indigestible to dogs when raw.

You might try a probiotic such as acidophilus.

Have you ever tried PETfection Happy Tummy treats? They are natural treats designed to help with intestinal issues, gas, diarrhea, etc. I love them! You do have to order them online at www.myPETfection.com, but they work really well. Of course these are more of a short term solution and you may need to switch his food as well, but at least it is something! These treats were recommended to me from an owner who's dog has IBS. She could start to see his stools getting soft and would start giving these treats, and the stools hardened back up. Hope this helps, good luck!