Toothbrush

how can i get my puppy to stop peeing/pooping on the carpet and I recently had him outside with my other dog..

..well he's been outside for awhile with my other dog for the same reason..for peeing/pooping on the carpet and tile...but no matter what i do he doesn't seem to listen.. At first i wanted him to learn how to pee outside and he did that for a lil while..in the nite when he was sleeping with me he would jump off and i'll noticed that he needed to go outside.. but when he is inside during the morning..he pees every where and i want him to learn how to let him pee on the pads when i'm not there or go outside..so what can i do?

Asked by Toothbrush on Nov 1st 2007 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Sparky

I found with my puppy that if given the choice much preferred to eliminate inside. So, I watched them like a hawk (you start noticing trends of when they may go) and if I caught her in the act I would bellow "NO-O-O-O" really loud and walk extra heavy. I would them grab her and take her immediately outside, even if I knew she had relieved herself. I probably had to do that 20-25 times before she got it.

Be patient. If you are consistent and on it, your dog will not want to get it wrong.

Regarding Wee-Wee pads, I think they are troublesome as they encourage your dog to pee inside sometimes, which is enough to not think it is wrong. Getting rid of the weewee pads was the beinning of the end of her going inside. (That and the 25 spotted mistakes and others I got there too late, but you know what I mean ;)

Sparky answered on 11/1/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Otis

One thing you do, DO NOT use puppy pads!! They encourage the dog to go poopy/pee inside the house. One way is to watch him very very carefully. If they start to sniff in circles, they're probably gonna go. Don't even take a leash, and hold onto him outside and say go potty outside!

Take him outside when he hasnt went in a while, and say go potty, take small treats and when he does reward him until he knows. My dog sits near the door when he has to go. Be consistent when you see him go potty inside, and take him immediately outside without saying a word, and just saying firmly go potty outside.
Hope he'll eventually get it!

Otis answered on 11/2/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

~Emma~ RL1

My experience- first thing in the morning take the dog outside. (literally I kept sweats by the bed- jumped up grabbed shoes and out we went) I dont have a fenced yard so we would walk up and down the alley. AS SOON AS she peed i would get totally excited! GOOD GIRL etc. (stayed outside with her until she did her business- and this was winter yikes) During the day she was kenneled. Another walk in the evening- same procedure. When I am with her during the days she went out every hour and half (small dogs = small bladder)- also every time she would go out i would ask "do you need to go outside?" At first at nite she would be in her kennel eventually worked up to the bedroom- I do not let her roam the house at nite by herself. After awhile you will totally recog. the poop sniff and pee squat. Act quickly to get Toothbrush outside. Everything else the other two mentioned too. (ps. have to agree no pee pads- friend did those with her dog and she still's potty training a year later.)

~Emma~ RL1 answered on 11/2/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer