Lil Moto

How can I get my puppy to not bite pant legs or the kids?Teething toys are not working and chew bones are not working.

Moto is new to our family and I can't get him to grasp that biting hurt us, and that he is recking our pant legs.I yelp like a dog and pat him on the nose but his get more aggressive.I ve try to contact Ceasar Millan to answer this question but he can't to busy.Please help thanks

Asked by Lil Moto on Mar 17th 2009 in Chewing

Answers

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

You buy a cat pole with the toy attached at the end. You can't let them chew on it. But, when you get up out of the chair and he starts the chasing and biting.
Go ahead and see if he will chase that instead as you walk. You are kind of distracting him from grabbing pants and after something else.:) In time teach him the leave it when he naws on the pants
Pups love to chase and bite. They are just having fun. Sometimes just walking on a leash on a short walk makes them forget that too.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 3/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'm no Ceasar, but I'll do my best..LOL.
I bought Bitter Apple spray, it tastes horrible. Whatever I was wearing I would spray the hems of my pants, he learned very quickly that pants don't taste good.
I would defiately stop patting him on the nose, this just may be what is making him more aggressive.
I would give a loud yelp like your doing, turn your back to him, stand still and completely ignore him. If he continues to try and nip, leave the room. Go to your bedroom and shut the door. He will learn biting means no playing.
Also it is a good idea that chasing or wrestling games should be restricted, this only encourages dogs to bite your ankles or your hands.
When you play with him always give him a toy, a bone, something to play with instead of your hands. When he does play with his toys praise like crazy.
Puppies nip, but if you are consistant with your training, he will soon realize dog teeth do not belong on humans.
Have a good one.

Young Labs, which I know best, and other puppies tend to very bad about biting. You see a litter of them, and all the ones that are awake are biting another one or themselves. I am not even sure they realize that when they are alone, if they quit biting, they would quit being bitten. At 3 to 4 months they are getting their adult teeth, and it seems they spend every waking moment biting or chewing. One thing you can do at that stage is to knot and wet a piece of cloth. Then freeze it. The cooling will soothe the gums. Only let the puppy have it when you are there to watch it. I maintain a Lab's favorite chew toy is another Lab. Otherwise they settle for any person they can. They keep hoping to find one that won't yelp, jerk their hand away, and leave.

Katie

Hi Moto!
I had the exact same problem when I first came home from the pound. My family got me a trainer who explained that herding dogs, especially, like to nip at heels. I also bit my family's fingers, hands, and arms, and was driving them crazy. But they fixed this problem in 2 days:
1. Whenever my teeth made contact with their skin or clothes, they yelped, then said "uh-uh" (you know, the grunt-grunt sound that means "no").
2. They immediately took my leash or collar, and calmly walked me outside, leaving me alone and staring in the sliding-glass door for 5-10 minutes.

Outdoors, I liked to chase my youngest boy and nip at his heels and pant legs. As soon as I nipped, my family would say "uh-uh" and walk inside, leaving me alone for a few.
Soon I learned that "uh-uh" meant stop it, or I'd be alone. I loved my family and wanted to be with them, so I stopped!
Here is a link to my trainer's site, for more info:
www.k9techsupport.com

Katie answered on 3/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer