Capone

How can i get my pitbull puppie to not bother my 2 older shihtzus??

He is a male, 5 months old and they are both female 3 and 5 years old. He doesnt attack them but he always wants to follow them and play and bark and they get scared. If one gets up to go eat he runs after them. Its annoying havimg to break them up all the time!

Asked by Capone on Nov 7th 2012 Tagged calmdownleaveotherdogsalone in Behavior & Training

Answers

It sounds like your pup is just being a pup. Are you sure your other dogs are getting scared of him? Older dogs will set boundaries for pups by snapping and growling at rambunctious pups. As long as it doesn't escalate, then I would let them be. If you think the older dogs might hurt the pup, then I would intervene. Jaxey used to reprimand Koby all the time. She never hurt him, but she did a lot of growling and grumbling at him. It taught him to respect space and back off when he was being a brat. He may also need things to do to keep him busy. A bored dog will find things to entertains themselves with, and sometimes it's pestering the other dogs in the household. Also, you can give the other dogs a quiet place to escape from the pup when they want to get away. Good Luck!