How can I get my full grown dog to stop marking his territory in the house?

I just adopted a Japanese Spitz 3 months ago and he's still peeing in the house. He's not a year old yet but he is already full grown. He's already learned to do impressive tricks why can't he stop peeing in the house? I know he's marking his territory because he's peed on my bed twice, on my side, and when I shampooed the carpet he went and peed in the exact spot where he'd peed before. I get very angry when he does this, but I hate punishing him. I've tried every king of training. Including rewarding when he uses the bathroom outside, spraying him with water, spanking him, putting him outside and ignoring him, taking him to the spot and telling him no. What else can I do? How can I get him to stop marking his territory?

Asked by Member 757780 on Oct 23rd 2008 Tagged peeing, marking, territory in House Soiling

Best Answer

Is he neutered? If neutered BEFORE the behavior starts it can almost eliminate it, however after it may cause some problems.
Start crating him when you aren't around, and start imposing rules about him being on the furniture. If he sees you as boss, he won't feel the need to be marking.
They also make special diapers you can put on male dogs when they are inside to prevent this.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on Oct 23rd.

Answers

You spanked your dog? BAD BAD puppy parent.......

CODY 2010 R.I.P.

Dude,

Is Pee Spitz fixed? Nuts no more? That should help, bro. He keeps peeing in the same spots 'cause they still smell like pee! Get a professional pet urine cleaner or try some vinegar to get the stink out.

Dude, where's his crate? If you don't have one, confine pooch to a laundry or powder room so he's not peeing up the whole house. Maybe a check-up at the vet can give a diagnosis too.

Pee No More,
- Mr. Boxer Cody :)

CODY 2010 R.I.P. answered on 10/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mocha Bear (Mokie), VGG, KPA,

What kind of cleaning products are you using? You must use an enzymatic cleaner designed specifically for dog waste. Just because you can't smell the "mess" anymore does not mean that he cannot. If he can still smell evidence of the crime, it indicates to him that this is an appropriate place to eliminate again.

DO NOT spank your dog. Why would you spray him with water? Also, punishing after the fact does not do you any good. It only shows the dog that his human acts crazy when he finds a mess, and teaches him to get better at hiding the messes from you.

These techniques are obviously not effective, so stop using them!

Get a crate, and learn about crate training and tethering. There is more information about this in the B & T forum.

Is he neutered? Neutering can significantly reduce marking behavior if that's actually what this is. I don't know that he's marking his territory as much as that you have not potty trained him.

Mocha Bear (Mokie), VGG, KPA, answered on 10/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer