How can I get my dog to sleep in her own bed?

My dog has slept in the bed with us since she was a puppy. Now she is 50 lbs. and I can't sleep because she hogs the bed up. I wake up throughout the night to rearrange how she is sleeping and she won't move!! Please tell me there is some way to get her to sleep in her own bed.

Asked by Member 767433 on Nov 13th 2008 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Dexter

Make her get down and stay down. It will cost you a few nights sleep. If this habit wasn't broken as a puppy, it may take longer now. Be consistent, don't let her get away with it once you start and she will eventually get it.

Try moving her bed away from yours and/or shutting your bedroom door to keep her out. She will resist at first because who wants to give up a comfy bed to sleep on the floor (even if she has a comfy bed of her own). She will also resist because you won't be there with her when she is in her own bed. Try using a blanket on your bed for a few days so it has your scent on it and then lay it on her bed. If she has your scent, she might feel more comfortable and it may be easier for her to make the transition. It is pretty much the same concept of getting kids back into their own beds and/or transitioning from crib to big kid bed.

Dexter answered on 11/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

In the dog world, sleeping quarters are a status symbol. Sleeping with you makes her higher up on the totem pool, so naturally she's going to fight being expected to move.

I suggest crating her at night. I know some people have issues with this, especially when the dog cries all night (and you'll probably have more issues since the dog hasn't been exposed to this her whole life) but it'll keep her secure and safe, and give her a place of her own.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 11/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer