how can i get my dog to eat a bit more slowly??

she is a toy poodle

Asked by Member 470377 on Feb 19th 2008 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Yes. Put some large stones in her food bowl. That way, she'll have to navigate around the stones to eat, thus eating slower. Eating fast tends to make them swallow more air, causing gas.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

If she is eating fast and choking then you may want to put a smaller bowl upside down in her regular bowl and sprinkle her kibble around the outside of the bowl. IF she is not choking then she may of just had to much competition when she was a pup or not enough food.This is a hard habit to break when it has been an issue from puppyhood.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 2/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sparky

I recently learned about this new bowl that makes it a lot harder to gulp. I've heard good things.

www.dogpausebowl.com

Sparky answered on 2/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You might find it helpful to change to a food that has larger kibbles. Some dogs will swallow small kibbles without chewing and the larger pieces slow the dog down by forcing her to chew before swallowing.