How can I find an intact male for my first very own puppy project?

Asked by Member 820216 on Mar 27th 2009 Tagged breeding, intactmale in U.S. Southeast

Best Answer

Kayak

Most puppies are intact when they are acquired. I'm sorry other people answering you rudely and are jumping to conclusions that you plan to breed. Some folks love to jump on the "spay/neuter train without knowledge of the persons intentions.
A good time to neuter a male I know is between six months to a year with most vets leaning closer to six months.
If your yard is fenced and you are a knowledgeable and responsible dog owner you may not have to do it at all, depending on your situation and what your vet advises. My male is a year and he is still intact.
Happy puppy hunting and don't let anyone bully you into anything. These decisions are yours and yours alone.

Kayak answered on Mar 27th.

Answers

Pay Pay

You make it sould like some school projet. You do not need to breed dogs. If you have a female get her FIXED. And if you adopt a male if he is not all ready fixed get him FIXED. There is a millions of dogs and puppys die in shelters ever year. WHY would you want to add to that number if you want to breed try breeding fish.

Pay Pay answered on 3/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

WTH is a "puppy project"???...Do you mean "breeding program"?...Do you know what one is?
By your question I doubt it...If you are serious about breeding & breeding responsibly you find a reputable mentor through your breed parent club...You show your dog & earn a championship conformation title...You get OFA's & health certifications done on both the sire & damn...NOT a simple vet check.
Breeding correctly costs a LOT of money.
It would be less expensive & time consuming to just fix your girl.
Her is some food for thought.
www.woodhavenlabs.com

Contact your dog's breed's breed parent club to find a good breeding quality male. But first, do at least two year's of thorough research and get a good mentor who has been breeding for at least 10 years. Breeding is complicated and you can't just jump into it without any or little knowledge on it. Doing so is extremely risky for both mother and pups. Even the male can be at risk during the mating.
Oh, and let's not forget the genetic health testing that is needed for both parents. It's not cheap.
cookiemiller.tripod.com