How Can I Convince My Mother To Get A Second Dog?!

Well, I've always wanted a dog of my own, and we already have a family dog named Molly, a little Cairn Terrier/Lhasa Apso. I really want a Native American Indian Dog(N.A.I.D) because they are hypoallergenic like my Cairn, they are good with kids(I have a little bro), they are extremely trainable, and I love big dogs! I really want a dog of my own, and I love the way this breed looks(They look like a wolf, and I love wolves)! They are a great family pet I've read, and they form a really close bond. I really need some help! None of the videos have worked on my stubborn mother! Please help!!!

Asked by Member 1106942 on Apr 21st 2012 Tagged wolf, dog, nativeamericanindiandog, convince, stubborn in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Cobain ADC, SGDC, CGN

1. This breed of dog is most certainly NOT "hypoallergenic"

2. Highly intelligent does not equal extremely trainable. This is a breed of dog that needs a strong owner and a ton of mental stimulation. Not providing proper stimulation for a dog of this breed will cause the dog to be aggressive/neurotic.

Cobain ADC, SGDC, CGN answered on 4/21/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Carter

If you want a dog please do your research there are a ton of dogs out there waiting to be adopted. Since you live with your mother you can try and convince her by doing chores or getting a job to pay for the vet bills and food. i would go on this website www.dogbreedinfo.com its a wonderful site that tells all the information about the breed. or you can look up a breed on dogster.com under the breed tab.

Also i recommend to rescue a dog. its very important to know the temperament about the dog you are going to adopt specially if you have a little brother. if you have any question im sure you can message anybody that comments on your question. but since there is only me and one other person. i would recommend either me or her, she knows alot.

Carter answered on 4/21/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Stumpy

i would prove to your mom that you can handle a second dog, one of your own, by doing things like feeding, brushing, cleaning and freshening water to show your parents you can take care of a dog, even scoop his poop once and awhile! by doing this, you are proving you can take of a dog! chose whatever breed you want, i just want to point out, use resources that are trustable, because these dogs are not hypoalergenic, so use dog 101, not just things like google or what you hear!

Stumpy answered on 4/21/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shasta

I seriously wouldn't ask her for a NAID... They aren't hypoallergenic, intelligence doesn't mean trainability, not the best breed at all for a young or inexperienced owner. Please! Do not want a dog because of the way the breed looks! Compatibility/health should be about the only thing that matters! Do your homework and research breeds... looking at personality BEFORE how it looks. Don't just use one source, look at several books/sites, each will be a little different about a certain breed. If you want the dog to be your very own, try getting a job/doing extra chores to show you're responsible & capable of paying the dog's adoption fee. A shelter dog/mutt is also a great starter dog as well. My very first dog-of-my-own is a mutt. He and I have formed an amazing bond & he's SO forgiving of my 'lousy training'... its amazing how well he has put up with my lack-of-experience on training/raising dogs

Best Regards! [please message me if u want to talk with me on how I got my '2nd dog' ;)]

Shasta answered on 4/21/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zack

1. Start doing all of the chores for the dog you already have. Feed her, walk her, clean up after her, etc. Without being asked and without complaining.

2. If you're old enough, look for a job. Start saving for dog expenses. Research how much it costs to own a dog (it's more expensive than you think!)

3. Volunteer at an animal shelter. Stick with it, be willing to do the dirty work.

4. Make sure you have good study habits, keep commitments you have already made, and be well-behaved and respectful towards your parents.

These will help you show your mother that you are responsible and capable of taking care of your own dog. If she still says no, respect her decision, wait until you are old enough to live on your own, and then get your own dog. If your mom pays the bills and owns the house, it is ultimately her decision, and you have to respect her choices. It might be difficult, but it's her job to choose what's best for your family. And sometimes that means only one dog.

Zack answered on 4/23/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Glimmer

I love dogs too! I really like this game: www.dogzer.net
You can adopt a virtual puppy. It grows up and you can compete in dog shows or join another player's kennel club. It's really realistic and fun!
If you can't get a dog in real life, then maybe you can just have a virtual one. Here it is: www.dogzer.net

Glimmer answered on 5/15/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer