how big does a chihuahua and rat terrier mix get to be?

Asked by Member 794381 on Jan 19th 2009 in The Dogster Website

Answers

Zackintosh CJ

You can never tell what size a mutt will be. You can guess all you want but you'll never know for sure.
If you're absolutely POSITIVE that the dog is a Chi/Rat mix, with nothing else, than you can say it probably won't be much bigger than 15-20 pounds. The Chi will make it smaller but the Rat's can be pretty big. My JRT was 20 pounds and not much bigger than a Rat. (Not fat either)
If it has small paws, then it won't be very big, if it has big out of proportion paws then it will probably be a lot bigger than it is.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 1/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zack

You can't ever really predict this for mixed breeds, except to say that it will be a small dog (under 20 pounds most likely). I used to have a chi/rattie mix, and his adult weight was about 11 pounds. If you know the weights of the parents, that might give you an approximate range, although it is also possible the dog could be bigger or smaller than either parent.

Zack answered on 1/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Itza

well, i am seven pounds and my brother is just under ten pounds. check us out so adorable

Itza answered on 2/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

HI
I have two of my own, so I should know! First off it does depend on if the dad was the rat or the chi, with both of my babies (now 1 year old) the dad was the chihuahua. One weighs 13lbs and the other about 12lbs.
Hope this helps....:)

Rocky  2002 ~ 2010

My Rat-Cha, Rocky, was 19 lbs when we rescued him from the local shelter. Unfortunately, he has put on 8 lbs of "happy fat" and is now on a very low-fat diet. He looks like a little bat-eared tank. He was chipped by his original owner, now deceased. We checked his past history and found out that his dam was a rattie who was on the large end of the scale. His sire was a 9 lb. Chi. The size they attain usually depends on the size of the parents and the genetics that were passed to the Rat-Cha.

Rocky 2002 ~ 2010 answered on 8/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer