How bad is toliet water? How long will the diarrhea last?

My dog drank some toilet water and now has some diarrhea, I gave her some probiotics with her food? Will it go away? Ishe drank the water yesterday and late last nite she got the poops!!

Asked by Member 907406 on Nov 12th 2009 in Illness & Disease

Answers

did you have any chemicals in that water? Do you have an automatic toilet bowl cleaner, tabs in the tank? Anything like that? If so better see a vet right away. ALWAYS keep the lid on your toilet down even if it is sans chemicals. A bowl is for water a toilet is for bowels. I keep my lid down and the bathroom door closed, dogs CAN lift a lid so I found out.
You should find out the cause of any unusual digestive problems. If you feel that your dog has ingested anything toxic to a vet IMMEDIATELY. Better safe than sorry, in the case of toxins, a fix is much easier if treated right away before more problems arise.

Earlier in the week, I might suggest waiting, but if she takes a turn for the worse over the weekend, vets are expensive IF you find one.

Maxi

Ive had dogs all my life and one or two of them growing up drank the toilet water. Never had a problem. Unless there is some automatic chemical cleaner in there I wouldn't worry about it. If there is, get to the vet.
Perhaps it is something else that is causing the diarrhea. Look for other possible sources around the house your dog has gotten into.
Good luck

Maxi answered on 11/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If it is chemicals in the toilet water then the vet needs to be the first place you go.

If the dog maybe is sick from the bacteria such as ecoli then maybe a antibotic will help more.

Dirrehea will dehydrate a dog quickly.
So I would say the vet is the best answer to have her looked over just in case.
hope she feels better soon.