Ronan

Hill's W/D food prescribed by vets for diabetes looks, well, horrible!

I looked at the ingredients and in contrast to what I've been reading about diets for diabetic dogs (high protein, low fat, low carb), this food is low protein, high carb, and full of fillers. Also, it's full of corn, which I've read is a low quality carb for dogs. But my vet says it's that or a terrible fate for my dog. Despite that, I really want to do something else. I haven't found another food that is listed for diabetics, so I was thinking of going with the following 2x/day and would love some feedback:
1/2 cup Evo reduced-fat kibble
3/4 can Kirkland brand super-premium lamb/rice or chicken/rice food (cheap, but seems to have same analysis as more expensive foods like Instinct)
handful steamed green beans

What do you think? I can't really afford to feed a 100-lb rottweiler 2 cans of Merrick every day, but I know I'm not supposed to feed all dry food either. I don't have the time to feed a home-cooked diet. I'm trying to come up with a compromise...

Asked by Ronan on Jul 7th 2008 Tagged food, diet in Diabetes

Answers

Lily

It doesn't look like enough food to me. Lily at 50 pounds eats more than half that amount. How many calories are in that diet? How many are you shooting for? Waltham's Daily Energy Requirements chart says active - 2088, typical -1926 and senior neutered inactive - 1576 for a one hundred pound dog.

Is there any reason you feel you can't feed all kibble? It is slightly more processed, but cooked is cooked. If price is a concern, I found canned much more expensive. I can add my own water if that's what Lily wants.

The green beans are good for fiber to slow down the absorption of the food to reduce the peaks and valleys of controlling blood sugar.

I sent you a p mail. Sorry that it sounds like a Canidae ad. I needed more than 1000 words.

Good luck, big guy.

Lily answered on 7/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Try purina DCO

Hi, In Feb 2008 we found out our rottie had diabetes she was put on the Hill's w/d and her sugar levels were very hard to regulate. Then we happened to visiting a friend out of stateand went to a Petsmarts that had a Vet service. We found a dog food specially made for diabetic dog. Our vet orders it for us because our local pet store do not carry it. Royal Canin Diabetic HF works great. Also Purina makes a Diabetic dog food that might work, too. Good luck!

Check out Wellness Core Reduced Fat dry food and possibly Innova Canned reduced FAt, as well as Purina DCO. Show the ingredients of these your vet, or a holistic vet and see what they think. My dog has colitis, which seems to respond to the same kind of diet, as DCO and Hill's W/D are also for diabetes.

Hi,

We came across Miss Autumn's Barkery. They make custom diets for medically ill dogs. They have a diabetic diet. They work with many top vets around the country. Sorry about your experience.

Thanks,
Rob

Try Darford Zero/G dog food