Hi, My Malumute X Husky pup (13weeks) we are having trouble disciplining. Tried water spray bottle, time out, ignoring.

Asked by Member 1125892 on Aug 15th 2012 in Aggression

Answers

Malamutes have a tendency to be a VERY stubborn breed. The reason for this is that in Europe dogs were valued for their obedience and loyalty and thus that trait was bred for. Conversely the Inuit people in Alaska needed a dog that was smart and creative and that could survive on it's own during tough times and thus Malamutes were selected for these traits. Part of that creativity means a more defined level of individualism and a more powerful personality. I love my Mal to death.

Disciplining generally is not the answer as it only really makes them more stubborn. The key to getting a Malamute to cooperate is in A) Ensuring they have no doubt about you being the alpha. and B) Making training fun. More so than any other breeds Malamutes will question your commands and wonder "What is in it for them" when asked to do something.

Here are a few a articles that might help you:
barkingorders.net

What, sort of things is your rugrat doing?

First off..there is a huge difference between stubborn, & independent. Second..your dog is a bitty baby..would you expect a 2 month old baby to be perfect? Would you spray them, ignore them, or pin them down? Of course not!! So do NOT do it to the dog.
Make training sessions short & positive. Work on one or 2 cues. Start with name recognition, sit, down, stay.
Crate training is vital. Try tethering her to you when she is out of her crate.
You don't say what you are having problems with exactly. Personally, discipline for a 13 week old pup is cringeworthy. She is discovering her world & needs guidance, not discipline.
Open a free account & post in Behavior & Training. We can help you better by having more info to work with.

Sonny

The problem with disciplining a puppy (or grown dogs) is they don't understand what you are "disciplining" them for. They know you are annoyed.

What they don't know is what you want. Puppies should be redirected to positive activities. Punishments or ignoring them don't teach them what you want.

Consider it a barter system. You want something, the puppy does too. List all his wants (food, play, walking on leash) and yours (intact furniture, nice manners, un-bitten fingers). Now start swapping. Use his food all day as well as playing and outside time to get him to comply with what you want.

Sonny answered on 8/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sammy-PSDit

Hello.
First things first. Mals and Huskys are big doggies, however your puppy's brain is just that. A puppy! I have had a Malamute/wolf mix (adopted @14 weeks from a shelter) who I had for 14 years.
I now have a Siberian Husky that I resuced from an abusive environment- and he was between 6-9 months!
So I understand the breed very well. I am going to advise you on what to do and NOT do.
1. Dogs have very short memories, if he did something wrong, punishment won't do squat. He'll just think you are mean to him, and not listen to you. STOP w/ the water bottles, they hate that- the "time-outs and ignoring, have even worse outcomes.
2. Huskys and Mals are VERY loving and affectionate. They NEED love, attention, and petting. Wispher your doggies name in his ear, and them pet him. He will know his name, then.
3. Paitence, paitence, paitence.
4. Treats work very well (I use beef Jerky cut into tiny bits) to praise your puppy when they do something right.
Love works better. Give it.

Sammy-PSDit answered on 8/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer