Oakley

Hi, I have a 15 week old sharpei lab mix. He has some dry flaky skin. We have used frontline and advantage topical flea treatments and they dont seem to work he still has fleas even though we treated him twice in one month(under my vets recomendation of course). My vet says that it may not be working due to the fact that it uses the oil glands to spread throughout the body.other than that he really didnt steer me in a direction of things that will work.so I wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem and also what can i do because he is due to be treated again and i really dont want to use these again ,they are not working!!Please help I dont want my baby suffering from fleas.

Asked by Oakley on Feb 1st 2010 in Flea & Tick Prevention

Answers

Hurricane Jack

OK first of all you need to drop your dog off and the groomers for the day to get a flea bath. Then you need to spend the time apart to treat and clean your house and yard. If you dont treat the house and yard your dog will continue to have fleas.

Hurricane Jack answered on 2/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Do you have any other animals in your house, ie cats or other dogs??? If so, they need to be treated at t he same time as the new pup. You will also need to do some sort of treatment for your dogs bedding and living quarters.
Also, please be aware that not all groomers will take dogs with fleas so if you follow Megan's advice, please be sure to check with them first! We will not take dogs with fleas here unless they have been treated with either Frontline or Advantix in the previous two weeks. Otherwise, we would have to be de-fleaing our grooming salon on a daily basis, which is not safe for our health or the health of the other animals here.

Hector

I agree with the de-fleaing the surrounding area. I think fleas will hatch every few days and can take several treatments to get them all.

I used frontline and advantix on my dogs for years. Then for some reason it stopped being effective. I don't have flea problems, but I live in the woods and have tick issues badly. Anyway, the vet said I needed to double the treatment. Well this of course is impossible for 4 large breed dogs.

I now use garlic, (read up on this, as it may not be for every dog) garlic seems to keep fleas, ticks an mosquitos from getting on them. I use this with the frontline/advantix, but instead of using the synthetic drugs twice a month, I use it once every two months, and garlic 2 times a week in their food.

I have never found a single tick on them since, and again, I live in a heavily wooded area filled with ticks of all kinds. Find them on me sometimes, but never on my dogs anymore.

May help for you too but read up about it and decide for yourself.

Hector answered on 2/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Ruby

Our indoor only cat got fleas once from a stray cat that sat on our windowsil. I had never had an animal with fleas before so I went to the petstore and bought a hundred dollars worth of flea treaments for the cat as well as for the house. I used these products and thought I had solved the problem, but I started seeing fleas a few days later. I have a bug phobia so this was traumatic for me. I called an exterminator and had the house fumigated. I took the cat to the Vet's and got Advantage put on. I stayed at my moms for a couple nights and when I got back I saw fleas again! I called the exterminator who told me to give it two weeks for the eggs to hatch and the fleas to die....two weeks later still lots of fleas. I had the exterminator come again, put another treatment on the cat....then saw a few fleas here and there for a month until they all died. Fleas are a pain in the butt, hard to get rid of. Thet lay 1000's of eggs a day, you should call an exterminator. Good luck!

Ruby answered on 2/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Petri

A flea bath to start is a great idea! Once you have done this, check out www.mypetfection.com. They offer a Bug Spray you can use daily to prevent fleas and help heal any previous flea bites. They have a Bugs Be Gone gift basket too with this product and shampoo. All of their products are 100% Organic and Non-Toxic and work really well. Hope this helps!

Petri answered on 2/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer