Hi I dewormed my 5 month old rottie last week there did`nt seem to be anything in her feaces, she seems fine to me

although her poop is still a little watery and she sometimes backs herself against my leg ( somethimg often done when in heat) though she may still be a little young for that? she is not scratching or scooting, would it be ok to treat her again?

Asked by Member 1083119 on Jan 31st 2012 in Vaccinations

Answers

Why do you think it would be a good idea to deworm her again even though the first dose didn't seem to accomplish anything?

I would be looking for another reason for her loose stools. Giardia is a parasite that is indetectable in stool, causes diarrhea, and ordinary wormers won't kill it, so that's a possibility. Another possibility is a food intolerance, or gut flora imbalance, or a more serious problem like Irritable Bowel Disorder (IBD).

Talk to your vet, you may need to take a stool sample and have it examined, or do an elimination diet to rule out a food cause, or add a probiotic supplement to her diet. Can't diagnose you over the internet.

Did you take a fecal sample in to your vet to get it checked for worms???? Without doing that, how do you have any idea WHAT worms you are trying to kill???
Wormer is poison, and should only be used when it is verified that the dog actually HAS the worms you are trying to kill.
There are many different kinds of worms that can affect puppies and dogs and no one wormer kills them all. Your vet can prescribe the correct wormer for the worms your dog may actually have.
There is no way, no how you should be repeating an OTC wormer within a week of giving it the first time... you really need to get a fecal sample checked and IF she has worms, use the correct wormer FROM THE VET, for the ones she actually has instead of poisoning her with something she doesn't even need.
Just a small list of some, not all, common internal parasites found in dogs and puppies:
hookworms
roundworms (more than one type)
tapeworms (several different kinds)
whipworms
giardia
coccidiosis