Samson

Helpful suggestions or experiences with a dog that has severe ear infections.

Samson is a 6 year old standard poodle. He has horrible recurrent ear infections. The last infection it was decided by our vet that he needed an ear flush and culture done. He was sedated, his ears were flushed and a culture sent off - I will receive the results in a few days. In the meantime, the vet gave me Baytril Otic ear drops and pain meds. I was told to do a daily flush, give the drops and pain meds as needed. It has been 4 days and he is still in so much pain. His ears drain yellow stringy pus. I called the vet and he seems to think it will just take time to heal (and of course the culture has not come back yet - so I am not sure what type of bacteria it is). Has anyone ever had a deep ear flush done on their dog and how long did it take to get better. His ear infections have been going on for about 3 years. If it is allergies I would not have a clue as to what the allergy is - we have tried changing his food many time. Currently he eats Blue Wilderness which is totally grain free. He keeps a wet nose and I have told the vet this, but he thinks that there is no connection between a wet/runny nose and ear infections. My other two standard poodles have never had an ear infection. He is so miserable. It does seem that the deep flush actually made matters worse, although I know that his ears needed to be able to drain and the vet said that there was a lot of wax buildup and hair deep inside where I would not have been able to pluck it out. Any suggestions from anyone with this problem is appreciated.

Asked by Samson on Feb 24th 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Have you tried changing her diet? Lots of people have had better luck with a raw diet when it comes to clearing up ears, eyes, skin etc..Just a thought.

Petri

You might try using PETfection Ear Cleaner Spray. It is 100% Organic and Non Toxic and is wonderful at clearing up ear infections. My pug was getting infections every couple of weeks and as soon as I started using this spray they stopped happening! Now I clean her ears once in awhile, but she hasn't had any infections again (and that was about 4 years ago!). I highly recommend it and found it works much better than any cleaner the vet gave me.

Petri answered on 2/25/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer