Help we have a 5 yr old rott and the community we live in has now said we must get rid of him because some one said they

Asked by Member 940875 on Jan 24th 2010 in Breed-Specific Legislation

Answers

Much of it depends on the specific laws where you live. If you can't find out what the law is, you may need to consult a lawyer. While most of us oppose laws banning specific breeds, none of us are lawyers or know the law where you live. Everything depends on what the law really is.

Buddy

Just say you got rid off him when you really didnt. Thats what i would do.

Buddy answered on 1/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would consult a lawyer. In the mean time, I would get him CGC, (Canine Good Citizen) certified. Most shelters or the SPCA offer classes. Unless there are specific laws against the breed, they would have a harder time making you get rid of him. The course is about 6 weeks long. Be prepared to work hard to get him certified. If you love him and want to keep him, the work is worth it. Good Luck!

C.J. (C-ATCH,TDI,CGC,RE,ChSN)

I agree with Kali. Getting the CGC certification will go along way toward proving to your community leaders that your dog is not only not a threat, but a model citizen. My rottie is taking his CGC test tomorrow! It's definitely been a lot of work, but it's been fun and is well worth it!

C.J. (C-ATCH,TDI,CGC,RE,ChSN) answered on 1/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer