HELP!!!!! REDBONE COONHOUND WON'T STOP URINATING IN HIS KENNEL

Recently my husband and I adopted a Redbone Coonhound. Previous owner had difficulties with him, although they didn't reveal that he was having a difficult time housebreaking and crate training, a close look at his vet records reveal he was tested several times for a UTI and each time was negative. He urinates in his kennel every day! My husband lets the dogs out at 3:30 am every morning before going to work to do their business. He recrates them at about 5:00am and I get up and let them out at 7:00 am. No doubt, without fail, our Coonhound pee's in his crate. I'm 7 months pregnant and getting very fed up with cleaning up dog urine daily. I love the dog and don't want to give up on him. Please give me some advice. I'm at my wits end.

Asked by Member 1069454 on Nov 8th 2011 Tagged cratetraining, urinating in Crate Training

Answers

Urinary incontinence? Less common in males than females, but possible nonetheless.
How often and how long are they left in the crate? Most dogs do not like to do that in their crate, unless it's large enough for them to set one side apart for that purpose.
Is it always in the same spot? If it is, try sectioning that side of the crate off with a large object, or feeding him on that side. (Dogs do not like to urinate where they are eating.)

I'd be talking to the vet about incontinence and the meds available for it. And a different vet than the one who tested him for UTIs, because frankly I'd think a good one would have brought up the possibility of incontinence already.

I had a dog with incontinence. (Cookie here, the dog whose profile I selected to answer this question under.) We had her on an incontinence med called Proin for three years. Proin does require a veterinary prescription, and I imagine any other meds for that purpose would as well.