Help! My dog obsessively whines at the wall and floor!!

Ever since I moved into my new house Molly is convinced there is a mouse (or other small creature) living under the floor. She has been pacing back and forth, sniffing where the wall hits the carpet, and whining for THREE WEEKS straight. I wish I was exaggerating when I said it was 24-7, but I'm not. Literally every moment of her day is spent staring at the carpet. She even keeps me up at night, whining and sniffing the wall. She even did so much as to tear up the corner of the carpet to get to the floor boards, which is very unlike her (she's usually well-behaved.) I have put her outside, I have yelled, I have made the "ah ah" sound, I tried the calm and assertive method, I have given her doggy time-outs for killing the carpet, I have tried to be nice, I have tried to distract her with toys and treats, I've tried long walks, and NOTHING is working. It's as if she has OCD and has become completely obsessed with this "supposed" creature. Please help!

Asked by Member 1143541 on Dec 3rd 2012 Tagged obsessed, carpet, mouse, whining, ocd in Behavior & Training

Answers

Maybe there is something there, in the floor, wall, like a mouse nest? Is there anyway you could check to rule it out?

Leo

If this is a new behavior for your dog, and it only happens in one place, and it started literally when you moved in, then (as the other poster says) there probably is something there that's making your dog whine, for whatever reason.

It'd probably be easier and less stressful on your dog to just try and eliminate the problem than to stop her from being interested in it, because as you've pointed out it's probably an obsession now that she isn't likely to give up short of extreme measures. If you feel it's a pest issue, maybe contact an exterminator and explain the situation.

Other options include keeping her away from that area if possible, and perhaps putting her in a crate or another room when you sleep. Make sure she gets lots of exercise so she's not directing all her energy into her obsession.

Leo answered on 12/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer