HELP! My dog ate an entire bottle of extra virgin olive oil about 5 hours ago! What should I do?!

Asked by Member 902928 on Oct 19th 2009 Tagged helpmydogate in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Get ready to clean up some major loose stools!!

I agree, you probably won't get much sleep tonight. Olive oil works like a laxative, so be ready to open that door.

I'd call your vet to see if there's anything that needs to be done. I don't think that olive oil is toxic in and of itself to dogs. But ingesting that much at once might have toxicity in that it stresses the gastric system and colon quite a bit and can cause distress.

I realize it's late so if the vet isn't open where you, try calling an emergency vet office and asking their advice. They are usually very helpful over the phone and can tell you if you need to bring him in for any reason or if there is something else you can do for him.

I also think you need to be prepared for very bad diarrhea, so feeding plain boiled white rice and baked chicken breast without skin can help quite a bit. It's very bland and the rice will help bind the oil together and also soothe the irritated digestive tract. I'd feed that in place of the regular food for a few days.

Boo

Was this an Italian greyhound? LOL...oops.

Joking aside, you'll just have a lot of doggie doo duty for a while. Canned pumpkin (plain, unspiced) works well also along with Jack's suggestion of rice and chicken. I'd be interested in hearing what your pup's coat looks like after all that olive oil....real shiney!

Keep an eye on him over the next few days anyway. The diahrrea alone could dehydrate your pup and make him very lethargic.

Must have been very tasty olive oil to eat an entire bottle. A loaf of bread, a bottle of really good extra virgin olive oil and I'm in heaven.

Boo answered on 10/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer