Oz

Help!! How can I get my golden retriever to sleep at night???

Help!! My 8 year old golden retriever will not sleep through the night. He will sleep for about 4 hours and then get up and start pacing from one side of the bed to the other. At first I though he just needed to go to the bathroom but that was not the case. To finally get him settled back down I will sleep on the couch and he will lay by the couch and is fine the rest of the night. (normally he sleeps on the floor by my side of the bed) He does this several nights a week. He has only been staying inside for about a month. We had a lab that passed away right after Thanksgiving.

Asked by Oz on Jan 7th 2009 Tagged sleep in Health & Wellness

Answers

♥ Lillie ♥

The reason he is not sleeping is because of his energy. When he sleeps with you does he wake up anytime? If he doesn't wake up when he is sleeping with you that means you comfort him. You should try to sleep with him about every night you can. He is more comfortable and happy sleeping with his master.

♥ Lillie ♥ answered on 1/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

plain and simple....constipation

Well, your dog has had a lot to adjust to in the past two months. Losing a buddy and now sleeping inside for the first time is probably throwing him for a loop. I'm sure he is in some kind of mourning for the loss of the Lab. And if he slept outside at night with the Lab, they probably didn't sleep through the night and there was no one to make them go back to their beds. Now he's up but w/o a buddy.
I'd suggest that you put him in a crate next to your bed and that should keep him from moving about at night. Put a comforting blanket in there with him and he'll start to understand that it's bedtime and he has to stay put. One other thing is to make sure your Golden is getting enough exercise during the day. If all he does is sleep all day, then sleep all night, well, of course he's up and pacing. I would be too.

Prissy

Golden Retrievers are very energetic, so the problem may be that he's not getting enough exercise during the day to wear him out. Some physical activities that this breed enjoys are fetch, swimming, walking, running and playing with other dogs. They also enjoy playing hide-and-seek, which they usually catch on to pretty quickly.

Prissy answered on 7/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer