☼ Frisbee ☼

Help! Dachshund with ear infection shaking and holding head to side when walking. Should he have medical attention?

He has had tons of ear infections before and is on medicene for his current one. Tonight he just started shaking a whining but I'm not sure what to do. He can barley walk and he holds his head lop sided when he does. Should I take him to the emergancy vet?

Asked by ☼ Frisbee ☼ on Jan 30th 2010 Tagged dog, ear, vet, medical, earinfections, infections in Allergies

Answers

Izzy

It does not sound like a normal ear infection to me. But then again, I know very little. If he can barely walk than that is bad news!!! Check for ticks and even if you can't find any, go to the vet just in case. If you do find a tick then it is probably too late. I have had two pets which have had ticks and one died because we didn't know until it was too late. I am worried for you.

Izzy answered on 1/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yes, he needs a vet. Since it's Saturday and it's unlikely you can get to your regular vet before Monday, I personally would take him to an emergency vet.

The reason most dogs hold their head to the side while walking when there's been an ear infection or an ear injury is that fluid is collecting in the ear. This is usually a sign of a very severe infection because the discharge is usually not viscous or liquidy, it's more clumpy. In a severe infection, pus can form deep in the ear canal and cause the dog to feel the effects kind of like water in the ear would feel. This is probably why he is walking like this.

He needs to be seen by someone with the equipment to look deeply into his ear and if needed, he may need to get onto antibiotics quickly. Pus can't really drain out easily from this area and aside from being extremely painful, it can cause a whole body infection if left too long or if severe enough.

Good luck, come back and let us know how he is.

Jet

You should go to the regular vet, but be sure to tell them about the problem when you make an appointment over the phone. I met a dog once who did the exact same thing then stopped eating, so seek medical attention ASAP>=[.

Jet answered on 1/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

yes that is an emergency. If you don't feel confident in your vet always seek another.