Help! A 7-year-old Rat Terrier/Jack Russell Terrier behavior changing - see details

I have had my Jack Rat Terrier for almost 7 years and he has been an awesome and fun dog. He has grown up around other dogs and been excellent with them and small children for the first 4 years of his life.

He visited my uncle's home and a small dog there followed him around for about two hours barking and growling at him. He finally decided to "take care of it" and snapped and growled at the other dog.

Ever since that time, he has not tolerated other dogs well at all. I've been careful to keep him away from other dogs (except those he grew up with) ever since.

Here's the problem. Lately when walking him, he will always try to attack other dogs (even while on leash). When breaking up the fights, he seems like he's not himself and will try to attack the person breaking them up - even when he knows the person.

So far he has not done any damage to the other dogs, but I just can't trust that will stay the same. Anyone else finding this a problem?

Asked by Member 1141582 on Nov 20th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

I would consult a behaviorist for this. They will have some good advice for you. Good Luck!

I would suggest checking him out at the vet, sometimes they can be in pain when they are in the mindset of "get them before they get me"

If he checks out fine, I suggest contacting a good behaviorist.