Sparky

Having a puppy neutered at 8 weeks affect him growth??

Does it affect the growth?? We got him from Operation Kindness, a shelter, and they wouldn't let us take him home unless he was neutered. Well, so they neutered him t 8 weeks. I have heard people say it does affect the growth and it dosen't affect the growth. I am confused, please help? He is a lab mix puppy and is currently 3 months old.

Asked by Sparky on Dec 31st 2008 in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

There's no medical data that shows that dogs who are neutered early have any significant growth reduction as adults.

It's one of those things that some people still think happens, but it's simply not proven to be true.

What DOES happen with some dogs is that the penis remains slightly small.

The misconception might be one of those things that has more factors involved than just the dog's age. For example, a recent study showed that humans who take vitamins aren't having lower cancer or heart disease rates based on the vitamin intake alone. For a long time, there was the belief that vitamins helped, but what they've found is that people who took vitamins every day were more likely to do OTHER things that made them healthier overall.

So, with dogs, those who are sterilized earlier might be smaller, but when you factor in that they are often shelter dogs who are fixed so early, proper nutrition in very early life might have more to do with it.

Hope that helps.

Miss Buddie

Miss Buddie was spayed at 8 weeks and she is happy and healthy and thriving.

Miss Buddie answered on 12/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jax

I am not sure about that, but I neutered my dog when he was one years old just to be on the safe side.

Jax answered on 12/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It DOES affect the growth in some giant breeds. For example, I have a mastiff. Once totally mature he should be a beefy fellow... If neutered too early, he could be built more daney than mastiffy. It could also reduce the size of his head.

Your pup should be fine... He may not beef out, but it will have no negative affects on him.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 12/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zackintosh CJ

Newer technology lets vets fix dogs earlier. They can do it at 6-8 weeks, they reccomend doing it earlier because young dogs recover faster and have less pain than older dogs. Now you shouldn't wait to even 6 months because a female puppy can go into heat at 6 months, which is way too soon for her to be having puppies! Its healthier to do it sooner.
My dog was fixed at 10 weeks and he's just fine.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 12/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

ellie may

It is quite confusing, i too had my dogs spayed and neutered at young ages, my newest puppy, beast was neutered at twelve weeks, i did this to avoid any aggression problems as i have two other males in the house. he seems to be doing fine, he is a cane corso, and appears to be growing at a normal rate, he is seven months old and eighty five pounds. my other two males both neutered at five months, have no issues, both healthy and happy, normal sizes, but my female saint bernard grew extremely fast, and different, she was spayed at four months, she is very tall, but has never put on her weight, she is only 120, when she should be more towards 145-170. she is healthy, just thin, i think your puppy will do fine. good luck to you, and Happy New Year!

ellie may answered on 12/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lexie

He dose not need to be fixed untill he is 6 months old

Lexie answered on 1/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer