Ivey

Has your working dog ever come across the condition known as "swimmer's tail"?

Swimmer's Tail/Cold Tail is a condition that is caused by either too much swimming in an unconditioned dog, or by water temp. in creeks, lakes + ponds. Last weekend, we spent nearly 4 hours on the dock at a lake. Ivey is a boxador who LOVES H2O. She always swam regularly until recently; we moved to an area with fewer opportunities to swim. This weekend, she was on a float with me, resting, part of the time, sometimes on the dock + other times, retrieving a toy. By Saturday night, I could tell that something was wrong. She insisted on staying close to me, crawling up into my lap, + rubbed me assertively with her nose. She would squeal if I touched near her behind. We wondered if it was watermelon seeds passing, or maybe the unneutered dog had gotten to her. We walked her + the BM was normal. Turned out to be Swimmer's Tail which causes excruciating pain! I wanted to share this in case you ever come across it! She just had to rest her tail muscles. We gave her pain meds + she's normal!

Asked by Ivey on Jul 23rd 2010 Tagged lake, pond, swim, retrieve, tail, bottom, butt, rearend, crooked, swam, swimming in Exercise

Answers

Seth

This is very interesting. Thank you for sharing the information with everyone here.

Seth answered on 7/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Happens all the time at lab hunt tests in the cold spring!

Buckeye

Sorry to hear that and we hope she gets better soon! This is great informtaion. Our dogs don't get to swim that much, but if they ever do, we'll be sure to have them rest and not swim for too long. Thanks so much for sharing.

Buckeye answered on 7/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

ouch. well, i have never heard of it. good to know that it exists
I have a dog that swims alot, so if she experiences this I will know what it is.
I know creeks and lakes also have lots of bad microscopic bugs too that can get on the skin or worse.
I have learned to stay away from lakes now but understand how much fun they have in water. glad you found out what it was and she is feeling better.