Meatball

Has anyone with an english bulldog experienced "pimples" under the chin and "red skin" around the neck area?

we are currently trying hot stop shampoo's every other day......but looking for other options and ideas.

Asked by Meatball on Jul 31st 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Theodore aka Teddy  **CGC**

My sister has an english bulldog, and she is constantly getting what the vet calls "puppy acne". Most of it is harmless and will go away on it's own. She also buys clearasil wipes (I'm not joking!) and wipes her chin every night. It seems to work. For the ones that get really big, the vet can give them antibiotics. She was also told to prevent issues, she should wipe her dogs face after she drinks because it is water that gets trapped in the wrinkles that cn be the culprit behind these "pimples". From what I understand, english bulldogs are notorious for having skin issues, so it's just a matter of managing them as they arise. Hope that helps!

Theodore aka Teddy **CGC** answered on 7/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jiggs  CGC

If you give your dog food and water from real stainless steel this should help cut down on the acne. I'm not sure what would cause red skin around the neck area unless Meatball is allergic to his collar. A real good website to join is www.bulldogdomain.com. People there are very nice and helpful with Bulldog questions.

Jiggs CGC answered on 7/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Atlas

don't have a bully but had a Dane that had acne. He pretty much grew out of it after a year old. He was given amoxicilin and I was told to keep them clean if they popped open. It was a pain in the rear but it did finally clear up. The vet explained that just like people, some dogs get it. His was "teenager" type acne but since some adult humans can have adult acne, I'm sure it can happen to dogs as well. Also, some dogs are allergic to nylon collars and some dogs allergic to leather...try using a different collar made of opposite material. Atlas was allergic to nylon and it was quite common in her breed...but it took months for me to find that little bit of info out. Finally found a breeder that confirmed it. Or, you might be dealing with 2 separate issues altogether. good luck

Atlas answered on 8/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Capone

Capone curently is experiencing the same issues, as for the acne...very common. I use Maleseb Pledgets wipes from the vet and also the same Maleseb Pledgets shampoo(medicated) . As for the redness, last time he had an infection in his skin, kinda like a yeast issue. It needed to be treated with antibiotics to kill it off. Good luck

Capone answered on 8/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer