Duke

Has anyone used the Cesar Millan "Illusion Collar"??

I am still trying to "master the walk" with my extremely strong American Bulldog/Pit Bull mix Duke. He is only 15 months and has a ton of energy - at 70lbs he is also super strong. He is not at all aggressive but he is always walking in front of me and at times even pulling. I have had him since September and we walk nearly every day. In that time I have had about 4 successful walks where I am leading the whole time without struggling. I have used a martingale, traditional choke chain, buckle collar, gentle leader harness and even a back pack to slow him down. The best results were the martingale but I'm thinking of trying the Illusion as it is supposed to keep the collar high on the neck where I have to keep pushing it there. Has anyone used it?

Asked by Duke on Jan 27th 2008 Tagged illusioncollar, masterthewalk, packleader in Collars & Leashes

Best Answer

Frosti

i have never used that type of collar but i know where you are coming from with the stressful walks bit. It seems like you have used pretty much every collar out there and you are running out of options, if none of the other collars worked there is a good chance tis one wont either. You could try a pich collar i used that on my dog to try to teach him not to pull, it is simular to a choke but instead of chocking pinches at different rates depending on how hard they pull. If you are really willing to put some time into walking him right i know a tecnoque that usually works. You ONLY walk when the dog is not pulling. you walk when the lead is lose but when he pulls you immediantly stop and wait for your dog to stop pulling. It takes a while for the dogs to get it and you will probaly not even get down the street. in time though he will SLOWLY learn, it works but requires patinece something most people lack (including me) Also try to tire him out before you walk.
Good luck;)

Frosti answered on Jan 27th.

Answers

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

No but I wanted to say your boy is handsom!
Try throwing some balls for him to tire him out before you go on your walk. I believe thaat a tired dog is a good dog!

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on 1/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have not used the Illusion Collar personally but I know several people who have given it a try. None of them have been overly impressed by it.

The Illusion Collar is designed to be used with a choke - either the chain type or a nylon type - and its only function is to keep the choke high up on the neck because there, it takes the least power and effort from you to give an effective correction.

Personally, I don't like chokes. There are some humane limited-slip chokes and Martingales are nice, especially if you have a dog who will try backing out of a flat collar. Those are better than basic choke chains, but if you have a strong dog that pulls no matter what, my opinion would be that you should give the prong collar a try. It's a more humane option than the choke and, along with training, more effective. IF it is fitted and used correctly.

I would also try to tire Duke out prior to walks by playing ball or letting him run around on a long line (like a 50ft tracking lead).