Rascal

Has Anyone used Don Sullivan's "Secrets to Training the Perfect Dog" DVD system?

I have heard good things from one couple but I would like more opinions before I spend the money to get it. What do you think about it?

Asked by Rascal on Sep 19th 2008 Tagged dvd, donsullivan, theperfectdog in Methods of Training

Answers

Personally, I do not agree with his methods. I've never actually seen his TV show or his commercial, but a friend told me that at the bottom of the commercial it says "may not work on naturally aggressive breeds like Pit Bulls". Why, that jack, Pit Bulls are NOT untrainable. I'll try not to get started on that...
In my mind, he's in the same place as Cesar Millan. And if you don't know where Cesar Millan is in my mind, I'll tell you...I don't agree with his methods either.
It's not that I hate, or even dislike, either guy, I just don't like their methods.
There are several helpful articles in this link that use methods which I advocate:
www.flyingdogpress.com

P.S. And his methods heavily involve the dominance theory, which was proven outdated a long time ago. I'm not a believer in the dominance theory.
Honestly, looking at the guy's website, I'm constantly rolling my eyes.
If you want to try it, no hard feelings from me. I just personally wouldn't even think of trying

All I can say is this program is the best 2 payments of $29.99 that I've ever invested on my dogs. I received the program a few days ago and put it to use right away. I was astounded by the results. I have two poms and after putting the command collar on them and running through the commands that I'd learned the results were almost immediate. I was worried that the collar would hurt so I wrapped it around my wrist and pulled like I would on them. It didn't hurt but you can definitely feel the correction. For them it just took a small gentle pull and they got the point quickly. No yelping, nothing. All I can say is Don's dogs are completely trained and well behaved and mine weren't so I didn't feel like I had anything to loose. His methods make a lot of sense and that's why I think they are very successful. My dogs are giving me the same amount of love with 10 times the respect. They know that I'm in charge with no question now. I tried treats and they only responded when I had them!

Personally? Attend a good group obedience class where you can learn in-person from a trainer with real certifications (APDT-certified) and get some socialization in. Training is not just about training the dog - it's about training YOU too, how you interact with your dog and what signals you throw to your dog.

The command collar is basically a modified prong, not something I'd personally put on a little dog like Rascal. Some people swear by corrections-based training - I used to too - these days I've read up on the science behind learning and I get the same results without the use of force or physical corrections.

In the end, obviously your dog, your decision to make...if I can train a Pit Bull without a plastic prong collar, I should think you'd be able to train Rascal without one.

Also Guest "I tried treats and they only responded when I had them" - error with trainer, not method - look up 'Variable Reinforcement Schedule' - that's the step you missed. PM me if you have ?

I seem to be hearing wildly different things about it also.

At first there's this site suggesting it's not all that it's cracked up to be
www.dogstrainingguides.com

But then when I look at reviews on kaboodle I see some people praising it and others calling them liars.
www.kaboodle.com

At this point I don't know who to believe... But, hopefully those links will give you plenty of reviews to browse over.

I'll have to disagree with one of the fellow posters about becoming the dominant (alpha) one to your dog. I adopted a big dog who was an adolescent and decided that he was going to be alpha. I hired a trainer and the first day of training was all about how I needed to become alpha. I put her techniques into action and just like that (snap) I had a dog who was realizing that I was the boss.
There was no touching, shouting, pulling or any contact or verbal interaction. It was all about eye contact, or lack there of, walking over thresholds first, eating first, greetings after I came home, etc. The dog who would greet me or come to me for affection and put his paw on my foot, immediately stopped stepping on my foot and stopped trying to get in my lap. I come home and ignore him and with in 1 minute I have a calm dog lying on the floor waiting for me to call him for affection. Amazing stuff. It helped establish my role in his life within his first two weeks with me. We both needed it.

I think this is one the best training dvd i have seen and, me and my family are happy that i ordered it, i did no research on it and just ordered thh thing i was going to put my dog in a school and go to classes but i thought why do all that when i can train him in the comfort of my own home and have my son and wife help and we can all go through the experience together, what i liked the most was the no treat rule(i hate it when people train with doggie treats) and it is true i saw a difference with in like 10 minutes NO JOKE!!!...so dont worry about what anybody says we are all cridicts and do what you think will help your dog. I did & he is great. He is a 4 month Bullboxer and walks totally off the leash, just be dedicated to your dog and your dog will be dedicated to you too...

KIRA

All I can say is that it's not perfect but
preaty dam close. I've used it with my golden, Kira, since day one at 9 weeks of age and i have never had a dog with this amount of obidience at now age 4 months. She's a perfect little lady but has not lost her puppiness. The only drawback is that it stops in every section covered. It;s a question of preference. Nonetheless it's a great product and it's to bad that there isn't a way to ask Don a question if something should arise during the training.

Raymond Aponte

Cayey, Puerto Rico

KIRA answered on 3/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

max

I have purchased the system, and have used it for a month, month and a half. We no longer need the system. I can take my 2 rescue boxers for a walk with no leash, anywhere. And I don't have to worry about them running off or not lisening to me. I think the bond with me and the dogs have grown and keeps growing.
The system uses a plastic corective collor and some rope. You correct your dog or disipline them by snaping the rope. I did it on my arm it doent hurt. But you also use verbal praise more than the corrections. It's a great feeling to be able to take your dogs anywhere, under any situation. The dogs recognize they get more freedom by doing what you want. It is a great system

max answered on 3/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

In response to the FIRST answer...it states in the infomercial, that this method should not be used on aggressive breeds that were TRAINED to be aggressive or mean.

I ordered the system for my dogs, a Rottie and a GSD/Pitt Bull. I am excited to see if it works. My girls like to jump on company among other issues...but overall, they are good pups. I will let you know how I am doing when I get it!

Maggie

I bought Don's system and am very glad I did. I just got it yesterday and tried it today. I did have a question for Don as we use a doggie door and he wanted you to take your dog out on the leash to go potty. But I am unable to do that. I emailed him about this and wondered if I should leave the leash on her when she goes out. He called me and we talked about it and he said that it sure work as along as she doesn't get hung up, With our deck and small side yard that is her's i don't think that will be a problem, but I plan to watch her. So I put the collar on and got it fitted put the long leash on and we practiced in the house at first. She would pull on the least so I gave the short little jerk, She came right back to me. I stood for awhile and then started to walk again. She did the same thing so did I. It only took the 2 times for her to learn to wait for me. Then I had to sit down and I had her do a down the way the video showed. As soon as i let off the leash she would get up, so I would put her down. This took a little longer maybe 5 minutes. So then I decide to go to the shop and get my scooter, and when i opened the front door she tried to bolt out. But a little jerk on the lead and she came back. I started again and she bolted again. So over we started, She did it 1 more time. Then she walk out with me very nice on the loose leash. When I got to shop I had to sit down to catch my air and she just laid right beside. Didn't even go to my husband. The scooter she would run away and then i would get her back, then she tried a couple of time going around the back of it and the leash would hang up. I figured out what she was doing as that would make me stop. So I just made her stay on one side.This all took about 1/2 hour to maybe 3/4's.
I am her best buddy now and when our son-in-law came home from work she didn't even jump on him. she went to him and set until he petted her. We have a long way to go, but I am impressed and the support is there. It sure didn't hurt Maggie at all.
If you have any comment or question please I would like to hear them? I haven't gotten very far yet but I am going to follow through for Maggie's sake and our sake.
Tammy

Maggie answered on 3/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yes I got it last week and after watching the dvds I tried it on my husky/ aussi mix, who was on his way out the door, and the system acctually worked! I was speechless, my 9 year old son who has'nt been able to pet him with out getting hurt, got to sit beside him and pet him! I am so glad. This training system has probably just saved my dogs life.
Yes I have tried other metheds as my vet suggested and nothing worked. I cant wait to show her the change.

I received the DVD as a gift and sadly have to report that I only saw 10 seconds of it. I first have to say that I have a well behaved PITBULL and I'm always looking for ways to continue his training. I was offended by the comment at the begining of this video...... it said that these techniques would not be compatible for pitbulls who are bred to fight and be agressive.....completely uncalled for! My dog's breed should not be labeled as aggresive or vicious. Needless to say that due to this ignorant remark I did not see the video, I've given this back to my friend which in turn is looking into a refund!
Sorry friend, but I refuse to support any product that discriminates ANY breed type.

I'm about ready to order this system based on what I've read here and other comments.

Question for those who currently use it: Can you still let your dogs on furniture, on the bed, etc., as long as you invite them up?

Everyone that answered with a negative comment either has not seen the product or has misunderstood some aspect of it.

First off -- If you have not personally experienced it, you have no room to comment.

Second -- No dog, REGARDLESS OF BREED, that has been PREVIOUSLY TRAINED for fighting and aggression can be re-trained back. (Sorry that pitts have gotten the unfortunate rap in this category. I agree - punish the one responsible, not the breed.) But, once trained, there is no return for them.

I bought the system, I have an 9 year old and a 10 week old boxer mix (both rescues!!). I will let you know what I think, since I have bought the system and will use it BEFORE making any comments on its usefullness.

We brought our French Mastiff puppy home when she was two months old. The first week, she was great. By the end of the second week, we were at our wit's end. She was biting everything (furniture, people, walls) and wouldn't walk on a leash no matter what. We ordered Don's training and got it about 8 days later. Right away, we watched the intro chapters and leash training (watch everything twice, at least) and took her out for her first lesson. We were pretty skeptical, but presto! Within five minutes, she was the perfect leash walking dog. Next, we focused on the biting.
We had had several friends and trainers recommend different techniques to stop that habit. None worked for more than a day or two. Don's has worked permanently. We now have a six month old puppy whose very playful, plays well with other dogs, loves to go for walks (she's so excited when the least comes out), and couldn't be better behaved. I have recommended this system to several friends, all with great results.

I've been using the system for about 2weeks, and it appears to be working. My dog has proven to be much smarter & more responsive then I had given her credit. For 4 years we had been struggling with her "independent" attitude -which included begging, barking at gardener & visitors, jumping onto the table & stealing food, trashcan diving, and being untrustworthy offleash at the park. She also had the irritating habit of playing keep-away with the ball during fetch. Most of these problems have cleared up, though I'm not quite ready to trust her offleash yet. The program has definitely improved the relationship between my dog & myself.

The thing I like most about the program/video is Don's friendly attitude towards the dogs, and the dogs' response. Correction is just correction, not a belittling of the dog. The dogs look so happy to be around him -not timid & scared, or looking entitled (as my dog was when we used "treat" training). My dog now respects me, & is still her playful self

Don's views on treat training are very black-and-white, it seems. When I watched his videos, he seemed to be under the impression that any dog who gets a treat for doing something will -always- expect that treat. This is not so. I have seen compulsion methods, properly applied, serve only in the end to toughen a dog up. Sure, she'll know the commands but it's anybody's guess as to whether, once she figures out how to take a correction, she will choose to obey. I'm a firm believer in -some- compulsion training, but figure out how to communicate with your dog and develop a relationship first. Reward the pooch with a smile and some praise every time she looks up at you. Learn not to squeak your praise at her if she's supposed to be holding a down or stay. Use whatever it takes to get her attention on you (I find snapping my fingers works on 90% of the dogs I help to train, and kissy noises or the occasional goose on the flank pick up the other 10. Use whatever works, and keep an open mind

Yes it is great, we just purchased it for our 10 week old Black Lab and he is doing wonders with the training.

Pacsi

I haven't used the system yet but I DID order it back on January 8th. It's now the 20th and I'm still waiting. I've been tracking it, though, and let me tell you, Fedex isn't going to win any speed awards on this one. They could have literally had a courier walk on foot from Sacramento, California to Houston, Texas and it would have already been here days ago. And Fedex shipped it to the US Postal Service, so now who knows how much longer it will be.

We have a 3 yr old mixed breed dog; she looks just like a Jack Russell Terrier except that she has the coat coloring of a German Shepherd. Her primary problems are: pulling on leash when walking, getting into ours and other people's trash, digging and, when she "escapes" out the door sometimes, she won't come back when called. If you walk after her, she just runs further away. (She WILL come back on her own after less than an hour, tho)
If and/or when I do get it, I will post back and let yall know how it's working.

Pacsi answered on 1/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Riley

I have ordered this Perfect Dog program for a 10 year old Cocker Spaniel who has been to obedience training (treat method) and had a personal trainer. He was unmanageable and aggressive on the trail, and embarrassing beyond belief. I have watched the DVD twice all the way thru (entertaining AND informative) and after only 4 days...FOUR days, he is sitting quietly when people walk by. I am so proud of him I can hardly stand it, and it is actually FUN to take him out now. People have actually told me how well trained my dog is, and I sound like a commercial when I tell them all about Perfect Dog! I only wish I'd heard of this 10 years ago. He wouldn't have been left home alone howling his displeasure! He has stopped his howling, too, with Don's techniques. By all means, give it a try, be consistant, and ENJOY your dog!

Riley answered on 2/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Jordan

Yes. It works. Only if everyone in your family will take part in the training. We have the most responsive dog. He is completely off-leash. We started the training at 4 1/2 months. He is 1 year old and perfect. I would order it off of eBay. Make sure you get the collar, leashes and the DVDs. You get it pretty fast

Jordan answered on 2/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jordan

I have successful trained 5 of my own dogs and several dogs for friends. My future son-in-law got Don's program and I watched him use it and look like a professional trainer. Don Sullivan's program is the best investment you can make if you want a well behaved and happy dog. He makes it so easy to train your dog, you will think your dog is a genius. Hope your training goes well.

I know this guy well on a personal level and he does not love dogs. He uses them as a means to a living. His motto in real life is you must let the dog know you can hurt him, before he will listen to you. Never use treats.
Personally I find this way too negative an approach, because I do love my dog. There must be a way to work out a compatible living situation with my dog, through love and kindness.
I know my dog loves me. I want to nurture a positive relationship with him.

Read all reviews and thought: I don't care that this guy is trying to make money; I have spent tons on training and collars; what happens to MY dogs if I don't try something else: what's the worst that can happen if I do this? No one reported a harmed pet. My dogs can die if I don't get them to stop running out into the street when they see another dog. Only when I am not watching do they get into the garbage, dig, and destroy things. When I'm watching, they are perfect angels! I seemed to have trained them to misbehave only when I'm no around! Actually, my female mixed breed is the ringleader and before that, they were much better. So, I'll give it a shot and if it doesn't work, I've still spent less than another $110 training class per dog. This forum was very helpful!

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PERFECT DOG
One thing to note is that he calls himself a dog trainer and behaviorist. He is a trainer I will give him that but no where does it say he has had any formal education that would give him the title of a behaviorist. A behaviorist is someone who has studied animals more objectively than just by personal experience.
The stuff about dogs thinking that you are "part of their pack" is complete BS. The people who claimed that years ago came back out to apologize for that claim because the study they were basing it off of one pack of human raised wolves.

Real behaviorists mostly use positive training and rewards. It really works though there are things that may need to be managed instead.
Dogs do not see "correction" as something to respect, only you as someone to avoid. I am not a veterinary behaviorist but please talk to one before using any of these types of methods.

Reggie

I have watched his dvds and am familiar with the style of training he uses. I have previously trained dogs using this method (from ages 11 - around 16). I then learned of positive reinforcement methods and started using those. My views on dog training lie in between these two styles.

I have always and still do believe that a dog does need to know its place in the pack. However before I use any kind of corrections on the dog, I make sure he/she completely understands what I am asking it to do. The way Don trains the dogs to stay with him, he is correcting them before they know what he wants. This is unfair to the dog. I use a combination of marker and correction training. If the dog knows the "command," but chooses to ignore me, that's when he gets the correction.

With his method, you will see quick changes, but I still believe they are unfair to the dog. I wouldn't recommend his system, but it is still up to the owner - as long as the dog is safe and not abused.

Reggie answered on 4/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I've noticed something very consistent in this forum; everyone who has tried the program loved it, and everyone who had something negative to say hadn't tried the program. I think my wife and I are going to try it, so I'll be back on the next 30 days to let people know what I think. I hope it goes well!

Hello Rascal Yes I have purchased the system about 2 weeks ago and it is the best money we could have spent on our new rescued German Shepard puppy that is now 5 months. I was thinking at first that we had made a bad choice because we have 2 older dogs. What were we thinking they were already past the puppy stage and already trained. I just started working with this system on Saturday 7/19/10 and with in about 7-10 minutes she was very responsive & changed my mind that we had made a mistake in getting her... We also have had a time trying to crate train her and she has sever separation anxiety and have her on medication. I am now taking her off the medication. I noticed this week that she is more calm and not barking like crazy when we leave and return home... It is amazing and I have recommended it to a co-worker with 6 Dachshunds.I will let you know our progress as it continues...

Sierra

It's kind of funny the crazy extremes of responses to Don's methods. It seems everyone who says negative things have never used it and those who say positive things have used the system.
Here's my story:
I rescued my dog about 2 months ago... (Husky/Jack Russel Terrier mix) an absolutely wonderful dog, but he had numerous incredibly bad habits when I got him and had been considering giving him away after a month or so.
As of now, I have been using Don's methods for 2.5 days (yes, two and a half days) and my dog is more well behaved than virtually any dog I know or have met in the past, including people who have spent thousands of dollars on professional training. Not only is he more well behaved, but quite simply happier. This morning we went on a short 7.6 mile hike, in which the leash never had to be touched. He ran when I wanted him to and stayed at my side when I told him to. From my experience, this is the fastest, safest and most effective way to train your dog.

I ordered Don Sullivan's dog training system. I received it and watched one of the dvd's. The system does work. I have a 3 month old german shepherd pup. I put the command collar on and went out side. I used it about 20 minutes. In that 20 minutes she walking with me and doing the down command. Believe me it wasn't easy. I did have resistance, but after a few corrections, she was doing what she was told to do. I have trained 2 other dogs. The first one I took to classes and trained the second one from what I learned. The dvd is basically the same things that I was taught in classes..it is really common sense. The collar is rubber with prongs. It is just used for correction..it is not inhumane. It is more inhumane to have a dog that does not listen. It makes your life and your dog's life miserable. Try the system and use the advice he gives you. It will work in the end if you are persistant.

I am currently using Don Sullivan's method in training my recently adopted 3 year old male VERY dominant German Bracco and within 4 days I have been able to make him respect me in a way that has astonished me. He complies to down command and doesn't pull anymore. (just when he forgets or gets distracted)

When I first got him he was all nerves and tried to run away several times. He also attacked dogs on our walks. He still attacks small dogs, but hey... it's been 4 days.

I really recommend his program

This is in response to the person who CLAIMS to know Don Sullivan personaly. He states that Don does not like dogs and he trains them by letting the animals know you can hurt them. GET REAL.
First: I don't beleive this person knows Don personaly. Why? Because I have seen Don's videos and it is obvious that he uses much more praise than corection. Watching his interaction with his dog and others clearly shows a pasion for what he is doing and that he cares for these animals. Yes you idiot, he is doing it for the money. Would you do that work for nothing? If you do know him, you are probably a grumpy neighbor who is unhappy and mean. And hey cowboy, I noticed that you did not have the nugees to post your name. A trash talking with no name is just that, TRASH. You claim to love your animal but are too dumb to understand that if a dog is not trained he can be a danger to himself and others. I am signing my name to this and will be looking for your most insightfull reply. Del Schroader

I have been using Don Sullivan's DVD system for about 4 weeks and all I can say is WOW. I had a well behaved Golden and hard headed Shihtzu. Naturally we had to work with our Shihtzu "Taz" more but the results are exactly what Don demonstrates. I have 2 of the best behaved dogs I have ever known. Best money I have spent on my pets period. And they are happier also!

Number #1 the training does work. There are two problems though: The first is that this method although it produces a well behaved dog it MUST be combined with a 'marker' system in order not to break a soft dogs temperament. If you have any intentions of showing or competing your dog do not use this method, particularly on puppies. A much better solution is to get some DVD's of Michael Ellis particularly the 'Power of food Training' and the 'Power of Marker Training. The results are the same as the Sullivan as far as obedience, but with the added bonus that the dog can also be taken to the next stages of training.

The second problem is the third party sales/shipping. On the phone the outfit 'Thane Products' tells you it will be 6-8 weeks before delivery(worked out to be 3, but in these times you can get anything from Hong Kong in 10 days). Then they try to sell you all sorts of extra junk, mostly non-related) before they finalize the sale. I am not really easy to irritate, but this outfit has it down to a fine art, and the result of their efforts is I have every intention of making copies of those DVD's and giving them to my friends rather than telling them to buy them. The collar is plastic, but it does work for light duty, not really much different than a regular training/prong collar as far as the dog is concerned. You MUST remember NOT to apply to much force, use just the tiniest amount more than the dog likes. To much force can harm the dog physically, just as a regular prong collar can do.

But as I said the 'system' does work. By the way it is nothing more than the decades old 'Koehler' training method.

Read more: wiki.answers.com

Yes I have and I love it. I am a dog and large animal trainer and have been for almost forty years.
Using this system is the best thing to come along in years, believe me I have tried them all. A trainer needs a large bag of tricks because all dogs don't respond the same, however this has given me a tool that works almost everytime on every dog. Ask any carpenter, tools are everything. I believe this is the most humane way to get the best results. The CDs spell it out in detail and if you can't learn from this get a hamster, you are not qualified to own a dog. I charge $40 per hour for training with a minimum of four sessions. Do the math. Pay Don now or pay me later.
Linda in Rio Vista

Coco Sharma

I have found this The Most useful dog training video. I didn't have heart to use the collar long enough. But my lab puppy was quite stuborn and pirana-puppy. I used it couple of times only to train him for not pulling the lease, not crossing the boundary and listening to me in general. AND IT WORKED REMARKABLY!!!! I was really amazed. My 3 year old puppy is a darling and is a pleasure of my life. I recommended it to all my friends and some of them borrowed it from me and were very happy (they have other breeds)...

Coco Sharma answered on 6/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID THIS.
This training system is fabulous for any kind of relationship, whether it be for a working dog, family dog, loving companion, whatever. Mr. Sullivan's videos are extremely clear and concise, and the methods are easy to apply.

We've had our 3 month old yellow lab for one month, and he's already learned 15 commands, is completely potty trained, and is trustworthy off-leash. He doesn't exhibit any sign that he's afraid of us, and his rambunctious personality is very much in tact.

To those concerned about the Pit Bull comment: You've got to realize that the dog fighting world has a history of using specific breeds, pits being the among the most common. I submit that he's not suggesting all pit bulls are aggressive, but rather that if a dog has been trained to be aggressive there's a higher likely-hood that it will be a pit than most other breeds. A fact is a fact.

I purchased and have been using The Perfect Dog training system for about a week. I like everything about it. The underlying principle of effectively and humanely overcoming any dog's attempts to assert dominance; the effectiveness of the command collar/leashes; well-produced video explanations with effective demonstrations and complete coverage of all commands/behavior needed. It's obvious Sullivan cares deeply for animals and he is a confident, clear communicator. This system is a terrific bargain for the price. Caveat: It will probably require you to re-think how you train and treat your dog and it will take time. Dog training is not an overnight process. My dog, an 18 month old, extremely dominant and stubborn female Sheltie is responding beautifully to it and is already easier to live with and love. We had tried the treat-based Pet Smart approach and it produced little in the way of results for us.

YES! I just started a week ago and in just minutes I had a different dog!! My son and I watched the first dvd several times before actually implementing the program.I have an adorable miniature American Eskimo, vet says 2y/o that I got from a rescue.His history is not known but it is apparent that he has quite a few fear/aggression issues,like men,motorcycles, larger dogs, runners,etc. He is also very domineering and jealous of my cat and other dogs.
I initially took him to a treat oriented training course at a local pet food chain and I was happy with the overall classes in that it bonded us and he behaved somewhat better.It soon became apparent that Sammy needed more extensive training because he only listened when he wanted to,and he had no respect for our household.He actually thought he was the alpha dog and we were unknowingly encouraging him. Don saved my dog's life in helping him. We are taking it slow,doing each exercise solely for a week and then will add the second command.

"Sammy" Samuel Elijah answered on 7/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This system is AWESOME. I have a 2 year old yellow lab/pit mix who has made my life into a daily version of "Marley and Me". I took him to the Petsmart classes where he graduated at the top in his class, however, I couldn't get him to listen to me without a treat in my hand! I am a college student and while some people think it is funny to have a misbehaving dog, it is actually dangerous and nerve-wracking! I bought the system and within 1 day my dog stopped pulling on the leash. He listens to me all the time (no more treats) and he gets along well with other dogs, people, bicycles, etc. He has had such an amazing transformation, even my roommate was amazed when I opened the door and he didn't bolt out! Some people on here said that Don's tactics are "mean" and he doesn't like Pits, it's a bunch of baloney. You adjust the "correction" to the level your dog needs, gradually building up the force as you go. This system is amazing and I can't say enough about it!

Buddy

I was at the dog park yesterday, and there was a man there who I've seen before, who walked his dog into the park without a leash. I stood there awestruck as he gave the command for the dog to 'poop' and the dog just turned around and did it. Several other owners couldn't believe it!

I asked him about how he did that, and he said he'd purchased this "Perfect Dog" training system and it was the best $50 bucks he's ever spent. He said that within 2 short weeks, his dog became a dream dog. He never has to worry about him misbehaving, he comes immediately when called, he can walk the dog off-leash anywhere, and there are both verbal and nonverbal commands the dog has mastered. He clapped his hands, and the dog broke away from the pack and came to him, to show me.

I couldn't get my dog to come to me yesterday at the park when we were leaving, and it was very embarrassing. I have always been one for training my dogs to be more civilized, but this one has been a real challenge. When I finally got him back on the leash, we came home, and I ordered the system right away. I've been watching the videos on Don's facebook page, and am truly amazed by the incredible results. I also went to his website, and watched those videos.

I can't wait to try it because I've seen a dog that was trained by this system, and talked with the owner to find out what makes him so well behaved. I'll let you know how it works for us.

Buddy answered on 2/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I was wondering the same thing and was reading the responses to your question for the same reason as you posted it. I am willing to try and re-post with my results when I do.

My decision to do so was as a result of this post and the responses.

All of those who actually tried the system seemed to be very pleased with it.

Those who only had opinions on how dogs should be trained and wanted to express their thoughts on the matter with nothing but their own likes and dislikes but never tried it were not pleased with it.

I decided to err on the side of those who actually knew what they were talking about!

Though the system is easy enough. I had success with the Gentle Leader. Great product and cheaper. You can pick it up at petco. Riding a horse Using a halter and lead, is pretty much the same comparison. I used the Gentle Leader on a 4year old Shepard that dragged you everywhere, and you couldn't take her in the vets without freaking out. 15 min walks for 2 days wearing the Leader she's perfect and can take her out in public and pet stores. . . Just sayin :) no more lungeing or dragging.

I was skeptical when I saw the infomercial about this product. I researched and read and heard a lot more pro's than con's so I decided to take a chance with it.
I am so glad I did!!!!
We have a 4 month old Australian Shepherd who was getting way out of hand...we couldn't even hardly walk him without him pulling our arms off.
We watched the DVD and then applied what we learned to our dog...and in less than 10 min he was walking like a dog that had been trained for years!!!
I don't agree with the people who complain about the disclamier in the first part of the video. It says it may not work with pits trained to fight (the summed up version) and personally, who would want a dog like that anyways?? JMO
So yes, it works!!! 100% it works!! =)
P.S. my dog was "treat trained" (by local certified pet store) and still was uncontrollabe, and no it wasn't handler error, it was that it just didn't work for our Aussie. He would get his treat and do what he wanted, when he wanted.

Yes it works. We have 2 pug puppies and they are responding better than I thought possible. There are no gimmicks just plain disipline and respect.

Most independant review sites reviewers are giving negative responses.

For example here

www.websiteverdict.com

Plenty of them all over if you search.

It's very effective. People who have not actually used it or who are disgruntled should not voice their opinion. It teaches you how to become the leader based on how a mother teaches her puppy NOT dominance. That is the wrong term. You must gain the respect of your dog through leadership. Trading becomes much more effective once this is established but you must follow the lessons as taught and be committed to consistency. The human is set up for success if you take the time it takes to do it right.