Lexi

Has anyone had their dog to vomit after administering K9 Advantix?

This is the second month I have used it on Lexi. A day or two later she started vomiting and we don't know why. The vet gave her an antivomit shot and also amoxicillian, but so far she is still vomiting. I am only feeding her a teaspoon of food every two hours. Any more than that and she vomits after every feeding. I am giving her chicken & rice that I made for her and occasionally cottage cheese, To watch her play you would not know there was anything wrong with her. She appears very healthy except for the vomiting. I just thought tonight that maybe it could be the K9 Advantix.

Asked by Lexi on Jul 15th 2009 in Medications

Answers

It is the K9 Advantix. You're the fourth person in about a month and a half to report that their dog has had some kind of serious reaction to K9. A few of the dogs had some serious issues that needed immediate medical attention.
I tell ya, the more I hear about the adverse reactions to this product, the more I think it should come with a serious warning label on it or be taken off the market.
I know all medicines don't work for all dogs, but the reactions that are being listed here, which are the ones we only hear about, makes for a good reason not to use it.
Switch flea medicine and I hope your girl feels better soon.

If she was OK the first time, I would dig deeper. Talk it over with the vet. Jump to theconclusion that it was the Advantix, and you may miss another serious problem.

This just happened to me as well. Within 24 hours of administering the Advantix dose our 2 year old basset was vomiting and had diarrhea. We thought he had eaten something that got stuck in his system so we brought him to the vet for x-rays and bloodwork.

Reading the post below this one that at least 4 other people posted similar things leads me to think that there is something seriously wrong with the product.

In mid July my wife gave our 80lb Akita Advantix for the first time. Within a couple of days she started to vomit, as we were away
on vacation we tried to change her diet and gave her Pepto Bismol but she continued to get worse. When we returned home we brought her to the vet and they gave her some medication to stop the vomitting and some antibiobics but she came home worse . The vet could not verify if it was the Advantix. We sent her back to the vet and she spent several more days there. After many more tests, still no answer and no better. Sadly we had to make the desicion to put her down as we could not afford any more vet bills. I have no proof that it was the Advantix but she was fine untill we put it on her. Needless to say I will never use it again.

I have been trying to research this for two months after spending $700.00 on one of my mini schnauzers that is like a family member to us, my boyfriend is a surgeon and I am a CRNA so we are medical folk in the people world.
We decided to swap to Advantix and the vomiting started 2 days after her initial dose. She also started this odd chewing on her front paws like she was neurotic. Nothing was wrong with her paws. She was worked up for constipation, reflux, foreign bodies, etc.She was put on pepcid and reglan and I did the small feedings as well every two hours!! No hard dog food,We thought she might have pancreatitis. No. She acted fine. Played. Just would reflux anything without the help of
meds.to keep food down til almost the end of the month when
it was almost time for another dose of Advantix! I batted the
idea around of switching back to Frontline then thought , "ok
I'm just going to see" . Two days now after her 2nd dose she's
vomiting!! This product needs reviewed!

Yes! I recently used advantix on 5 of my 6 dogs. All of them became glassy eyed with diarrhea and vomiting. The stool was liquid and black. I have used this product before with no problems. I was panicked that I had parvo or something in my house, but a litter of puppies remained perfectly healthy, as did the one dog i did not treat. I started to make the connection that the only dogs who got sick were also the ones I used advantix on the day before. So I googled it and found your post. My dogs don't have fleas anymore, but at what price? Never again! Vet appointment tomorrow morning...we shall see...