Has anyone got a dog with Mitral Valve Disorder??

My beautiful Golden Retriever Hugo has just died of Mitral Valve Disorder age 10 months. We have lots of pills left over and would love to pass them onto a family that needs them. We know how expensive they are. I know if we give them back to the vet they will re sell them and I don't want that. They are all in date we only lost him 4 days ago. I can also help if anyone needs advise.
Thanks

Asked by Member 998556 on Jul 28th 2010 in Medications

Answers

I am so sorry you lost your baby!!!
Another suggestion is to talk with your veterinarians office. While they cannot re-prescribe the drugs, many vets keep them and give them to dogs whose owners are unable to afford "new" drugs. Our vet does this and it can make the difference between life and death for a needy pet.
Again, sorry for your loss... it is never easy to lose a pet and your guy was still a baby!!!

Ty

It also depends on the laws of your state. I had some left over medicine i wanted to just give away, but i was told that the law did not let me do that because of fear they may have been tampered with. I thought it was dumb but i had to just toss them.

Ty answered on 7/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I am so sorry to hear of Hugo's death. That's very sad.

Perhaps you can contact the vet who treated Hugo and see if they can give the medication to a shelter or to one of their patients who can't afford the medication.

There are recycling programs for medications, but they are usually human medications. They are distributed to poor nations and used until they expire. I'm not sure, but sometimes dog meds are the same, but different packaging and dosages as human meds. You might want to check with your local pharmacy to see if they participate in recycling or reclaiming of meds.