Dixie- Beloved Angel

Has anyone ever given a dog baby aspirin or low dose adult aspirin regimin to help with arthritis?

Dixie is 10 years old, and has arthritis in her hind knees. It has been very damp here the past couple days, and she seems to have trouble walking on the one back leg when she first gets up. Yesterday she would not put weight on it right away when getting up. She is about 27 lbs.

Asked by Dixie- Beloved Angel on Dec 24th 2007 in Arthritis

Answers

Shinji

If you are in a pinch, it's okay, but human medicine can be toxic for dogs, so be extremely careful.

Use REAL aspirin (not Tylenol). Also be sure that it's the powdery, chalky kind, not the kind with a shiny coating. You can give about 5mg per pound (so in Dixie's case, 5x27 = 135 mg) every 12 hours. Grind it up in her food so it will digest easily and she won't get sick. I find it best to grind it up in some canned food so they don't even notice it.

I definitely wouldn't continue this long-term. I would also call the vet before giving my dog anything. I've done this myself before and know other dog owners do, but this is in no way a substitute for a vet's advice. If Dixie is having a long-term problem with pain, the vet can give you some doggie medicine called Rimadyl, which does the same thing as aspirin.

Shinji answered on 12/24/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Ellie

We used to give our old dog Ibuprofen so I think that asprin is okay to.

Ellie answered on 12/24/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ibuprofen (Advil, Mortrin, etc.) is extremely toxic to dogs and even a small dose can be fatal to a larger dog.

Baby asprin is something that most vets feel is okay for MOST dogs, but honestly, this is a question for your vet, and not Dogster Answers.

While some of us on Answers can give you our experiences, your vet will be able to tell you if it is safe to give your particular dog and exactly how much she should get. The vet might even be able to suggest something more appropriate that will help her even more than the asprin might.

Chloe

There is a WONDERFUL medication for arthritis in dogs today. In fact, it works so well that your dog can have complete 24 hour relief...can you say that about your Aspirin? Do you know when your "medicine cabinet fix" is going to stop working?

Not only can Aspirin be toxic, but it also is a sad comparision to the advancement of medicine today that this particular medication proves.

How well does Dixie like an aspirin shoved down her throat? I'm sure if given a choice she'd like to have something that tastes a ton less chalkier and is flavored just for her enjoyment.

I'm purposely not naming the drug that is formulated just for Dixie's aches because it's prescribed by vets only. It's good for her to get checked over anyway, as the recommended minimum to visit a vet,for dog her age,is twice a year.

An ailment such as arthritis isn't going to go away overnight, might as well make the most of her day by getting an appointment and imploring treatment designed especially for her.

Chloe answered on 12/24/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

There is a medication that I have had my 16 year old Aija on for the last 4 years...she has arthritis in her hips very badly, and without this medication, after a couple of days, she is not even able to walk....ask your vet about Cosequin. I have used it for years with absolutely no side effects, I have recommended it to numerous family members and co-workers and friends...this truely is a miracle drug! It IS the #1 vet recommended medication for arthritis and you will see a definate difference in your Dixie within a week. Good Luck and Merry Christmas!
Yorkiemom1

No, I don't reccomd it either. My 8th dog 9 yes I have a had 12 dogs 2 crayfish,4 horses,9 sheep 29 fish and 7 peacocks) ate chocalte chip cookies nothing happend. This would maybe not help but she was about you wight and we never gave her medicen i don't reccomd any tipe of medicen given to dogs (hunman)

Panelope

The previous dog that we had was on an asprin regimin for half of her life. It was vet supervised, and Always given with food. She had half an asprin (plain asprin, she weighed about 55 pounds) twice a day, and it helped her to live out her live comfortably. I would ask your vet, they might have something better for dixie.

Panelope answered on 12/29/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer