had a friend to watch my german shep, while on vacation, they feed him table food, now my dog wont eat much of his dog f

Asked by Member 1107688 on Apr 25th 2012 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Lulu

You can always try mixing in canned food with his hard food. Canned food always makes the smell much stronger which will make him want his food. Just keep doing that and slowly take away the canned food and he should be fine :)

Lulu answered on 4/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Easy. Refuse to give him anything but his food. He may try to hold out for a bit, but he won't let himself starve.

ANOOKs page w/ lil' sister MEI

All i have to ssy is "GOOD LUCK" because when my girls got sick i had to give them boiled chicken and rice and now my brats don't like eating their food unless there is something else in it. my vet said to just cut them off and they will not let themselves starve. (i don't have the heart not to keep doing it, my vet gets irritated with me)

ANOOKs page w/ lil' sister MEI answered on 4/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shasta

I agree with Grey Dawn Treader. My Shasta will get to be Mr. Picky pretty often... I give him his daily food, if he won't eat it, then I leave it there for him, not feeding him anything till he eats it [usually takes only a day... sometimes up to 3 though, he never acts starving during that time - don't worry]. It is okay for dogs to go without food for a day or two like that. Eventually he will get hungry and remember that he is a dog, not a person. ;)

Best Regards! =D

Shasta answered on 4/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Skipper

Eventually your dog will get used to your routine again. Until then, it's hard to look into those eyes when he begs for table food.

Just think about how much healthier he will be with his dog food. My dog begs, and when she knows I won't give her table scraps, she heads for her bowl. Good Luck!!!

Skipper answered on 4/27/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

He got spoiled for a while. Just keep offering him his regular food and when he gets hungry enough he will eat it. He won't starve, his hunger will win out and you'll have your old dog back. I'd let my friend know not to do that in the future though.