Baxter

Great Pyrenees: Is it safe to neuter?

I have a 7 week old Great Pyrenees, Baxter, and I have been doing some research on when to be the best time to neuter him. The information i have found is kind of disturbing and confusing. I have found everything from it can cause bone cancer, stunt their growth, shorten life expectancie, etc. I have found some forums here on dogster that refers to these from a few years ago and I was wandering if there are some new information out there or if anyone has a Great Pyrenees and if they are spay/neutered and your experience and what you know?

Asked by Baxter on Jan 21st 2013 Tagged greatpyrenees, spay, neuter, safe, help, healthconcerns in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

There is a lot of confusing and contradictory info out there.
Neutering will NOT cause cancer.
You DO want to wait until he has finished growing, so around 2 years old. You want him to get the full benefit of the testosterone hormones, and have his growth plates closed. Do NOT consider it before then.
That gives you plenty of time to do further research on the pros/cons.
Neutering is not a cure for behaviour problems like aggression or marking, but it will lessen his desires to wander or to actively seek out females in season.
Keeping a large un-neutered male is a big responsibility.