Sheba

Got ripped off when we bought our "PUREBRED" pit bull

We bought sheba when she was about 9 weeks old and she is 4 months now. When we went up to pick her out and put down money on her the people said all there dogs were healthy, no problems with any of the puppies. so we paid $250 for her. not long ago me and my family noticed that she was running into more things than a puppy should and started wondering if she was able to see the way she should. so i called the people we got her from and she slipped up and said that the parents were brother and sister!!!! and that the rest of the puppies went to a rescue group. i called this rescue group and they confirmed that the litter was inbred and some of the pups were half blind. i think this is cruelty and that this litter of pups should not have been born let alone sold to people like us who where led to believe they were healthy purebreds. i want to do something about this but i dont know what. and the rescue group is saying there is nothing i can do. what do you think?

Asked by Sheba on Dec 10th 2009 in Breed-Specific Legislation

Answers

There's not much you can do, sounds like a terrible Backyard Breeder so I'm assuming there was no puppy contract to sign or anything of that nature... you can look into puppy lemon laws in your state IF they have one, even so usually with those laws you have to return the puppy and I wouldn't want these people to get within 300 feet of the poor puppy again considering their "breeding practices".

Also, I know this is a hard blow, but remember that dogs with vision problems can still lead full and wonderful lives, and can do VERY well with little to no vision. Get a vet check and see if you can find out just how much vision loss there is.

that's what AKC five generational pedigrees are about. Anytime you go to a breeder and they don't have at LEAST a five generation pedigree for you to look at DON'T BUY! I know this doesn't help now. I couldn't help but notice the eyes on your dog even before you mentioned in in this question. I looked at the pics in regard to another post of yours.I thought it looked like cataracts. Bring the dog to the vet, it could also be a problem that can be corrected. The people who bred this dog should be reported to the AKC if they are members.
This is the kind of thing that gives individuals breeding for QUALITY pups a problem. I'd like to make sure people like the ones who bred your dog are culpable. Please do spread the word amongst those people you know to beware of this ":breeder".
It is a shame, but no reason not to love your pup, it is NOT her fault. She will be an even sweeter dog for her problems.

B.J., CGC

When will people learn to ask questions and see some proof of health clearances and pedigrees, etc., when they pay to buy a dog??? What ever happened to buyer beware????
There is no way I would pay $250 for anything without some sort of contract and/or guarantee, in writing, and without seeing the pertinent health clearances on BOTH parents. I would have also discussed the breeder's dogs and breeding practices with their vet prior to giving any deposit on a puppy.
Without any type of contract, I would agree there is nothing you can do.

B.J., CGC answered on 12/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I think you have a beautiful pup who needs your love and support for the rest of her life.
It's a shame how she came into this world but it happens all the time. People need to stop buying pups from people who they assume are breeders. Just because someone places an ad in the local newspaper selling pups does not make them a breeder. If there is no contract, no testing, no quarantee on the pup....walk away, if you don't your taking your chances.
You did not get any of the above so there isn't anything you can do.
You never mentioned, have you taken your pup to the vet?
Enjoy you pup, she is adorable.

There is not a whole lot you can do unless the dogs are not being taken care of and being physically abused or left to starve ect.
It is bad that people do that.
And you can't turn them into AKC if the pup is not registered, even if she was, they have no authority. They send out registeration to pups if the dam and sire are registered.
Try not to believe a person's word. There are some nice people online who sell good pitbulls. Just type in the name pitbull in the search engine or rescue one from the shelter.
Take it as a loss and just know that you can love this dog even if she is blind, this dog will still be a great dog for you. You have a dog that can hear and that is really great cause she can hear you and know where you are.
I would seek a vet's opinion, take her to the vet to see if she is blind or if the cataract can be peel off and replaced or if there is scar tissue covering a healthy eyeball.

Honestly, unless they had certifications, vet references, ckc or akc papers, then the dogs can't honestly be fully called PUREBRED. Because you never know. And a backyard breeder is not the way to go. For $250 I can guarantee that they aren't reputable breeders and were not.

Inbreeding can't necessarily be 'stopped'. There isn't anything that I know of that you can do. If contracts were written up, probably with small claims court. But nothing beyond that.

A reputable breeder would also give you a health guarantee.

I'd honestly be happy if I still got a puppy with a great personality and be sure to have her vet checked each year and get her health clearances.

Mikey

Maybe this can be the impetus for you to be involved in some way of getting the word out about not buying puppies from stores or joe schmoe breeder.

There is a group in the Los Angeles area that specifically works to stop people from buying puppies at pet stores. They picket out front of these stores and hand out literature on the evils of backyard breeders and puppymills.
The more the word gets out to those who don't know, the less money these jack ***** will make and then hopefully we won't see as many puppies in the windows or ads in the paper.
Good luck with Sheba. Sounds like your job right now is to be a good parent to her and give her a good life.
Get involved in speaking out. That's the best thing you can do. There are many organizations that you can find by google-ing "puppy mills" or any other key word and I'm sure it will lead you to groups that get out and get vocal.
Good luck.

Mikey answered on 12/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

$250 barely covers the pre-natal costs and puppies first shots. It's less than most rescue groups charge for animals shipped to another state and Vetted for the first time. (Typically $350)
I can tell by her Picture, she has PRA, or progressive retinal atrophy. Snickers has this too, see the reflection from their eyes? It's typical for it to happen in young puppies, Snickers is among the smaller percentage which get it at an older age.
I wish you wouldn't claim to be ripped off. You did not do any homework on the seller, or the dogs. I'm sure this was a no contract sale, and there is nothing you can do.
Dogs adjust well to blindness. Hey, now you need another dog for a seeing eye dog, get a pound dog that loves your Sheba.

Angel

First off, I am sorry to hear of this, but as others have said, you were taking your chances not doing research before you bought your dog. Did you ask to see the kennels? If not, you should have. Just because someone says their dogs are healthy does not mean they are. You should call the police and ask them to investigate. You have the puppy as proof. If you get a rude answer call Animal Control, the SPCA, anything!

Also, you should check with your vet and see if it's a problem that can be fixed or at least made better in some way. You should also ask him/her about ways to take care of a dog with vision problems, and do some research on them. Take care of Sheba; it's not her fault she's inbred!

Also, unless they were saying that she is a specific breed (American Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, etc.), then she isn't really a purebred. Pit bull is a certain type of dog, not a purebred.

Hope this helps!

Angel answered on 7/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer