Faith

Good Food for sensitive stomach

I have a Cocker and a German Shepherd. They have been eating Science Diet for quite sometime. I heard so much neg things about this food, I wanted to change. I changed to Canidae. They have been eating it for about 2 months. They both have bouts of loose stools (bad ones). They have been to the vet and are healthy. Does anyone know a really good food for them. The vet suggested a low residue food because they appear to have a sensitive stomach. They did fine on the adult Science Diet but with all the bad food out there, I would like to get them the best. Thanks for your help!

Asked by Faith on Feb 21st 2008 in Other Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Reesy

Your best bet is to buy California Natrual. It is made by the same company that makes Innova and EVO. California Natural was designed for dogs with sensitive stomachs. It is great stuff. My picky Tibetan Spaniel who has sensitive skin and stomach eats it with great success. I have seen amazing results with other dogs who eat it and have some of the same problems. I would avoid Science Diet and though Canidae is a good food, I have seen better results with Innova/California Natural. www.naturapet.com There you can read more about it and use the store locator to find where to buy it.

Good Luck.

Reesy answered on Feb 21st.

Answers

Jumpin' Jack Flash Red

We also cant say enuf BAD stuf about Science Diet. It gave my 2 year old grey hair! I heard similer stories from other pups. Sadly the Sencitive Stomach was great for our cats and we still use it for them. (6 to 7 piles of red cat puke for 12 years every week was cleared up with it) But please dont go back to SD. Its not good even if your vet sells it.

Jumpin' Jack Flash Red answered on 2/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jenna

I second the California Natural, but Innova can also do well. Did the trick for me and my sister's issues in finding a food. I can't go into a lot of detail here, but visit www.dogfoodanalysis.com it's a dog food rating guide that I think is right on target. They are a bit biased to Grain Free foods, but I feel any food that rates 4 to 6 is a pretty decent food.

Sadly, while a lot of places can give you a free sample of food, a small amount won't tell you if it will agree with your pup's tummy. A lot of brands will guarantee their food, but not all. Always ask the return policy for premium foods at the store. I know Petco and Petsmart (don't carry the best, you can find Blue Buffalo at PetsMart, and Solid Gold and Natural Balance at Petco) have a very generous policy, the bag can be practically empty, but they'll still refund it. Just have to keep the bag. :P good luck.

Jenna answered on 2/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

First of all- Science Diet is crud. It's so not worth the money you pay. For Joey (who has a VERY sensitive tummy), California Natural did not work. What DID work for him was corn-based GROCERY STORE foods:
Beneful, Kibbles n Bits, Priority, The Goodlife

I couldn't stand feeding him these foods though, so I switched him to a home made diet based off of Dr. Pitcairn's recipes in his book about Natural Pet health. It worked like a charm! He's not on 1/2 raw, and 1/2 home cooked. Hopefully his stomach will be able to handle full raw, but in the meantime he's doing SO well on the 1/2 and 1/2.

sophie

Beneful, & kibbles and bits are great for dogs with sensitive tummies & cheap too. I bought an expensive brand also that is making my dog have a very bad allergic reaction that im very worried about & trying to get treated. Watch out for (nutro natural choice) & pedigree. Pedigree made me buy the other food to make my dog go to the bathroom better but she got an allergic reaction. your doing great on being careful on what food to give your dog.

sophie answered on 2/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Persy

Persy is allergic to most meats, so he has to eat a chicken-based food. Wheat is NOT necessary for dogs, and with the tainted wheat gluten last year, we decided to make him go entirely wheat-free. He is on Wellness brand "Super 5 Mix" -- this is made by the Old Mother Hubbard company. It is not available at every store, but you will find it at designated 'pet nutrition centers' or [human] food co-op stores which specialize in organic foods. Persy likes this food very much and has very healthy poops now :) Wellness has several different flavor options for dogs -- all with brown rice and lots of vegetables. The Super 5 Mix is chicken-based. There is also a White Fish & Sweet Potato flavor (among others)!

Persy answered on 2/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer