Golden retriever wont stop biting

I work at a dog daycare, and one of our more frequent visitors is a golden retriever, who is a little over a year old. This dog is the most aggressive golden I have ever met. Out of nowhere he will charge at employees and bite arms, legs, bums, whatever he can reach! We were trained to pin him to the floor when he does this, but the technique no longer works on him. As soon as we let him up he jumps up and starts biting again.It can be quite painful and makes watching the other dogs much more difficult. If we tell him no or spray him with water he just barks, if we try to grab his collar to pin him he runs away and comes back even more determined to bite. There has to be another way we can control this crazy dog, I am tired of leaving work covered in bites from him. What can we do to stop him from lunging and biting?

Asked by Member 1138601 on Nov 1st 2012 in Aggression

Answers

Koby

Are you sure he isn't just really mouthy? Does he break the skin? At 1 year old, he's still a puppy. Koby still occasionally displays the kind of behavior you describe. He leaves me with lots of tiny bruises. Does he like toys or treats? You could distract him. I toss Koby's favorite ball to him when he mouths me. He can't nip if his mouth is full. I know he's probably in a group when he mis-behaves, but can you separate him a make him sit, stay of down for a treat unitl he calms down? Distract him with something else. Good Luck!

Koby answered on 11/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

1.) How did this dog pass his temperament test to be admitted into the daycare?!

2.) Pinning him to the ground and spraying water in his face are not appropriate ways to deal with aggression issues. If I found out someone was doing this to my dogs I would flip and immediately remove my dog from the facility. Have the owners been contacted and talked to about these problems? If the dog is truly having a problem, the owners are the ones who need to be working on it with a qualified professional behaviorist, and he should be removed from the daycare facility -- daycare employees should not be implementing their own random "training" techniques onto someone else's dog. This isn't going to fix anything. In the end, the owner is the one who needs to do the work here.

I completely agree with Kolbe on both things.

Kolbe is right, this dog has NO BUSINESS being in ANY daycare and your method of "training" by pinning and spraying is making it WORSE.
I run a daycare. ALL our dogs are evaluated and observed individually prior to being allowed in daycare. Any issue such as this dog apparently has is not something that ever should have been allowed to join. Imagine what happens when one of you really does get hurt and the other dogs join in as a pack... it won't be pretty, that is for sure!!!
This dog's owners need to be made aware of the dog's problem and they should be provided with the name of a good behaviorist to help them resolve his issues. Until then, NO MORE daycare visits and certainly no more adversive "training" methods.
I also agree with Kolbe in that a daycare should not be using ANY adversives on their clients. I would cause a HUGE stink and perhaps even go public with it.
Can you imagine if your child's daycare stopped aggression by either pinning your child or spraying water in h