Getting a new puppy when I work all day ?

Is it inhumane to get a puppy when I work all day 8 -9 hours? I could get a dog walker twice a day but people have said it is cruel to leave the dog for so long.

Asked by Member 872059 on Aug 29th 2009 in Puppies

Answers

B.J., CGC

To me, the whole point in getting a puppy is to bond with it and make it "mine". This works by spending tons and tons of time with the pup, moulding it and encouraging proper behaviors and diminishing unwanted behaviors. I am not real sure how this would work... before you leave you are going to be rushing around getting ready for work and not have time for playing with and training the baby. When you get home, you will be tired and ready to settle down... the puppy will be all revved up and ready to roll. Unless you are a saint, your fatigue and lack of energy will be a real detriment to training and proper exercise. Meanwhile, the puppy is left to it's own devices all day long... bored and building more pent up energy to assault you with when you walk in the door at night. Even with a dog walker, the pup is going to be spending the biggest majority of it's time with no supervision. I would suggest either an adult dog or volunteering with puppies at a nearby shelter.

B.J., CGC answered on 8/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

GUS

I would imagine most people who have the money to properly take care of a dog have full time jobs...So in that case I would think most dog owners have the same issue. You could always take your lunch break to run home and let him out if you live close enough...and if you have someone to walk him two times a day that would be decent in my opinion. good luck :)

GUS answered on 8/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Depending on our schedules, my wife and I have left many puppies at home all day with only a short break mid day. These were puppies we were fostering for a dog guide school that needed to be well socialized and bonded to their raiser. Hundreds of other people in the program are doing the same thing with excellent results.

As long as it gets a break or 2, fine, go for it.

It depends on the person I suppose.
I have worked full time, and once I had I think 4 or 5 dogs.
But, the kids during the summer helped and I seem to also have a big yard and adequate fencing. It really depends if the dog is left totally by itself and no one is to take the pup out then I would say wait to you so you can plan ahead, get a home with a yard, and still come home for lunch everyday, or have a dog walker come every day for 2 or 3 potty breaks. Check the water and food dishes also.
It can take longer to train the dog and to teach it not to potty in the house.
It does take lots of dedication to raising dogs.
Some people can choose fish or a reptile.
Maybe even a bird is good. I loved the cockateils I use to have. The males talk.

Have you looked into the cost of doggie day care or a dog walker? At least you can take a child care credit for human kids.
Puppies are learning every moment they are awake, and if you work all day they will be awake all night. From 2 to 6 months they need 3 feedings a day. They need to empty bladder and bowels with in the next hour. They are in need of constant training, exercise, company - dogs are not lone creatures it's not natural to them.
Of the three in my house, two would be okay alone for 6 or 7 hours, the other would be nuts in 3 or 4. The 8 month old needs LOTS of exercise or she is CRAZY.

Boo

There is an awful lot of work that goes into bringing home a new puppy, especially if you live alone and work full time. A new puppy will take up several hours each day of bonding, training, grooming, feeding, bathing, walking and excercise.

Ask yourself first if you have that extra time to devote to a totally dependant living creature before you take the plunge.

If you answer with a yes, then please research breeds and their traits to find the one that will fit with your energy level and time. Some breeds require far more energy and excercise than others. Some will require far more grooming than others. Consider the cost of vet bills, pet walkers and poop scoopers. Consider your neighbors and potential barking problems, size restrictions for pets, etc.,.

Once you have done all the research and asked yourself all the important questions and STILL want to get a puppy, then do it when you can take a vacation from work and devote the time to bonding and training your new pup.

Boo answered on 8/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer