german shepard X rottweiler? Or did the woman who bred him lie?

I was told that my 5 month old puppy is a german shepard X rottweiler, or atleast, he is supposed to be. I was told that his mother was a white german shepard, and his father was a german rottweiler. Here are the details on my puppy. The lady brought him to me when he was only 3 weeks old, he was the runt of the litter and the mother stopped feeding him(supposedly). After bottle feeding him for 3 weeks, I found out that he had parvo, so I nursed him through it. Now he is a healthy, thriving 5 month old pup. He came from a litter of 11 pups, but was the only one born with a nub tail, and 9 of the 11 pups were born black and tan. My pup, and one of his sisters are almost totally black with a patch of white on their chest and one foot. At 5 months old, he weighs under 30 pounds(both of his parents weighed 90 +) He isn't very tall, his paws aren't very big, he is stocky like a rottweiler, but has a long face and ears like a shepard. He is very loyal, eager to please, and obedient.

Asked by Member 1111281 on May 17th 2012 Tagged mixedbreed in Puppies

Answers

Sounds like he's what they said he is, but then I'm not an expert at the genetics of coat patterns.

I do want to mention, though, that it was a very, very ignorant move on the part of the breeder to let you take a 3 week old puppy. They need their mother for so much more than nourishment. They also learn important things from her and littermates, like bite inhibition. No good breeder would let you take a puppy younger than 8 weeks of age.

Glad to hear it seems to be going well, though. Make sure to socialize him well, so that he is well-behaved.

ANOOKs page w/ lil' sister MEI

it would be interesting to see a picture of your puppy and we are so glad that he was able to survive the parvo, but i do agree with the last person about the fact that u got him so early. good luck, CIn

ANOOKs page w/ lil' sister MEI answered on 5/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'm glad he survived, and that you are such a caring, diligent owner. BUT... I think that lady pulled a fast one on you about breed. That is WAY too small for either of these breeds, even assuming parvo may have stunted his growth a little. And Rottweilers, to my knowledge, don't have natural bobtails, their bobtails come from docking (amputation of the tail at birth). A natural bobtail is only common in a few breeds, such as Corgis and Australian Shepherds (most of them are docked too, actually, but the bobtail gene is present in some.)

It is possible that the mother was bred by more than one male (which if the owner was as irresponsible as it sounds like... it's not unlikely) and that your pup was fathered by someone other than the Rottweiler, or that one or both of the parents were not purebreds (just LOOKED like a GSD and a Rott... this happens all the time.)