Frontline Plus, K-9 Advantix or Advantage? Which is best?

I just adopted a 10mo pit mix and need to invest in flea/tick treatment... which is better, Frontline Plus, K-9 Advantix or Advantage?? Any Suggestions???

Asked by Member 999113 on Aug 2nd 2010 Tagged flea, tick, mosquito, frontline, advantix, advantage, bug in Flea & Tick Prevention

Answers

I have to preface my answer with the fact that I truly do not like using these products on my guys, but sometimes it's necessary. I usually try to avoid using them at all costs, because when it comes down to it, they are topical pesticides and some dogs can have serious side effects, even if the treatments have been used on them in the past.

I limit myself to using them during the height of summer, which (at least in our area) is the height of flea season and the dogs are miserable otherwise.

I like Advantage for a couple of reasons. First, it was tested by a consumer group as being slightly less toxic of the whole group, though they are all made with similar ingredients. Second, when some flea populations can get "immune" to Frontline, Advantage seems to remain immunity free.

I find that using a smaller than recommended dose is still totally effective and in non-summer months, I flea comb, bathe, vacuum and wash bedding to effectively control the fleas without poisons.

I recently bought Frontline because it was cheaper and regretted it. Treader is so dang itchy and constantly wanting his lower back scratched right now. I'm going back to Advantage.

Hector

As Jack answered, I too am not keen on any of these products, but living in a wooded area that is infested with ticks and mosquitos, I have to choose what is the safest for my dogs. I have opted to take the chance on the using the chemicals.

I don't like frontline at all. I have used advantage but it isn't effective for ticks, so I use advantix. So far it has been effective, and I only use it when the ticks are really bad. I am currently tapering off, as the ticks are not as bad as they were a couple of months ago. In the fall, they will return, so back on the advantix my dogs will go.

I read, these products are tested on dogs by giving them large doses. They keep dosing until it kills the dog. This is how they know what dose is deemed safe for a dogs weight. I wanted to boycott but, my own dogs health is at risk without these products. So until somehting better comes along, I will opt for advantix to keep off the parasites, but im searching for natural products that work.

Hector answered on 8/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I had been using advantix but only when going on a camping trip with my guys, otherwise I normally keep an eye on things and only do them when I see a flea. I used advantix because it also repels mosquitoes. Recently I was going camping and my vet doesn't carry advantix so I got vectra something instead since it's supposed to be the same ingredients as Advantix. Well, it worked but best of all, it was no where near as sticky as advantix and I couldn't even tell where I had put it on the dogs. Soo, now I will use that instead!

annie

I agree with Toto!!He always knows best!!

annie answered on 8/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Fleas have been bad around here the last couple of years. The best i have found is the K9 advantix. It seemed to do the best job.