; Marcus

four day old chiweenie/shiweenie mix and nursing.

I have a four day old chiweenie/shiweenie mix and his mother does a very good job of taking care of him and she is very good job of taking care of him and feeding him when he needs too be fed but what I have noticed is that while he is nursing he will whine and throw his head back and I don't know if this is normal or not.
Extra Information: This is her first puppy and he is the only one she had! So, I know he is getting enough too eat. I just want too know what he is doing is okay or if maybe he is not getting any milk at all. (: Thank you.

Asked by ; Marcus on Nov 14th 2011 Tagged nursing, puppy, one in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Becca

What do you mean when you say it's "getting enough" to eat ?
A puppy shouldn't be taking on solid food before it's at LEAST 6 weeks old !
You say that the Mother takes good care of it in one breath, but, you're wondering if it's getting any milk in another !?
If you don't know how to check the Mother and see if she's able to nurse, then take BOTH of them to a Vet immediately !

Becca answered on 11/15/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Responsible breeders always have mother and babies examined by their vet within a day of birth. This exam includes making sure the mother has plenty of milk and the milk has the proper PH, making sure there are no retained afterbirths or puppies, and making sure the babies are healthy and have no obvious issues like heart defects, cleft palates, etc.
IF these dogs have not had this important exam done yet it is past time to get it done.
Normal, healthy puppies do not whine, they make contented cooing noise or no noise at all. Whining would definitely indicate something is wrong.