for about a month my dog has runny eye what can i do to help him without taking him to the vet?

my dog has had a crying eye for a month what can i do for it without taking him to the vet?

Asked by Member 545375 on Dec 14th 2007 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Shandi

First I understand vets are expensive but it might be several different things that could cause this. I am not an expert I am just a several pet owner and work at a vets. If it is a clear discharge like tears it could just be an allergy. You can try human over the counter allergy eye drops. Just one drop and see if it helps. Could be the eyelash is turning in which is called entropian and usually needs surgery to correct. Dogs like humans can also get eye infections so please take him/her to a vet if it continues.

Shandi answered on 12/14/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

JESS

My shih tzu had/has an eye problem. And I would recommend taking your dog to the vet. I just paid out over $3000.00 for her eye surgery because I did not properly take care of her eye. I thought that I knew what I was doing, but I didn't. I would have had to spend perhaps $50 on her eye. But I tried to save myself the money, and I ended up spending so much more. Now, I definitely take good care of her eyes.

JESS answered on 12/15/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Scout

If your dog is crying, he is most likely in pain. Dogs are very stoic about pain and they'll only cry if their pain is very severe. I know you're probably concerned about incurring a vet bill, but your dog NEEDS to be seen by a vet ASAP since this condition has gone on for over a month already and is probably getting worse. If you can't afford to take your dog to a vet, then go to either your local Humane Society or ASPCA, both of which have clinics and are cheaper than most vets. But by all means, your dog MUST been seen and treated medically, and soon. Anything less is being an abusive pet parent. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but if you were in pain for over a month would you wait to see a doctor about your pain? Even if you would wait, your dog is your responsibility and you entered into a covenant to care for your dog when you brought him into yopur life and that covenant was to take care for him because he can't take care of himself. PLEASE take your dog to a vet NOW!

Scout answered on 12/15/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer