For a pug- collar or harness? Which is better for walking? wearing?

thx! i will vote on best answer! thx!

Asked by Member 759614 on Oct 27th 2008 Tagged walking, wearing, leash, harness, pug in Leash Walking

Answers

Harness. Small breeds such as pugs are prone to a condition called collapsing trachea. This can be worsened by a collar.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 10/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I always use a harness on my Chihuahuas when teaching them how to walk. The harness allows you to have maximum control without hurting your dog. The previous poster is correct about the probability of toy breeds developing collapsed tracheas - from excessive pulling on the neck, typically due to people who let their dog pull. With a harness, however, you MUST teach your dog correctly - the harness was actually developed to teach a dog HOW to pull (hence the sled dogs) so you need to use it properly. If you let your dog pull on the harness, you are teaching your dog to 'mush' and defeating the purpose of what you want. As long as you give short pulls on the leash, as opposed to a constant pull, you will teach your dog how to walk by your side. Please message me if you have any other questions.

Bam-Bam gave a good answer. Dogs like pugs really need less focused pressure around their necks.

And, actually, any dog benefits from being walked on a harness rather than by the lead/collar.

Any pulling or correction done on the traditional neck collar, regardless of type (nylon, pinch, prong, martindale, etc) can cause nerve damage, premature arthritis, problems in older age or even choking.

I would always recommend a harness as an alternative to a collar. You can get harnesses, halters or gentle leaders and the added bonus is that the training is easier because you have a more diffuse control area over the body.

My little dog starts hacking if I use a collar to attach his leash to. So, I use a harness for walks. I use his collar to keep his ID and rabies tag on.