Gumball

Following my mom around

Im a 5 month old Catahoula Leopard dog&my new mom recently adopted me&from the moment she brought me home I have followed her around. If I'm sleeping&she leaves the room I will wake up&follow her. Why do I do this? Is it because I'm afraid she's going to leave me? How long will I do this?

Asked by Gumball on Jan 30th 2013 Tagged newlyadopted, following in Behavior & Training

Answers

The dog just wants to spend every moment with you. And does not want you to be out of sight. In time the dog will become a bit more independent, but for now the dog is still new and being around you makes her still more secure. I had one that was under foot all the time when I first brought her home. But in time, she relaxed and is much better.

PLEASE do tons of research. You have just adopted a very high energy, hard dog. She NEEDS a job. These dogs are very independent working dogs..after all they were bred to hunt & hold 300 pound wild hogs. She is most likely looking for direction & wondering what her job is. I highly recommend you enrol in some obedience classes.
How much training are you doing daily? How much exercise? She needs her mind & her body worked. Good luck.
Come to the main forums for more helpful advice.