Flea collars

Do flea/tick collars work?

Asked by Member 747865 on Nov 15th 2009 in Home Grooming

Answers

They may kill an occasional flea or tick which happens to come into direct contact with the collar, but for the most part they only provide a constant source of poison that the pet and any one touching it comes into contact with. And, they certainly will cause a quick death of the dog should he ingest the collar, which happens all too often.
They do seem to work pretty well at killing fleas which are sucked up into a vacuum cleaner bag if they are put into the bag, however.

Nobody I know reports success with them. Depending on the habitat, a healthy young dog may resist fleas itself. I have gone many years with little or no problems doing nothing and my puppies have had very few problems. I think many reports that this or that works are due to the dog really not needing anything.

Pull the hair forward at the base of your dogs tail. If you can see or feel gritty, dark reddish specks, you dog has fleas. If so, check with your vet. He can help you select the best remedy for your dog and your conditions from a number of safe, effective products.

Bengal

No! don't waste your money, and for people who think washing your dog or cat with Dawn dish washing liquid will get rid of fleas, STOP IT!, it doesn't work and your doing more harm to your pet than good.

Bengal answered on 11/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

They do not work. Geranium oil works amazing for fleas and ticks.

About the only thing they might do is keep fleas off from around the neck area, it will not kill them so no, spend your money on something else

they used to say too, that if you had a flea collar on your dog, there could be complications from anesthesia, might be fatal. No, they don't work, never did. Dip does work and can be used only if and when fleas are a problem instead of keeping insecticide on your dog 365 days a year.
Use 20 Mule Team Borax in your house to rid it of fleas in a non toxic way, should your dog have them.

Not in my experience. Granted, the last flea collar we used was on a Toy Poodle named Rascal who was my buddy in my early childhood, so I don't remember much except it didn't do much good.
I prefer garlic powder, which I use on my current dogs. I was cautious with it at first and still am to a point, but it does seem to work. For now, I use Breyer's Yeast with Garlic, but I plan on using plain garlic powder once I learn a bit more about it.

Hurricane Jack

Flea collars do not work, at all. If you spray your yard, and treat your house you wont have to worry about fleas. If your dog does get fleas you can always wash him in crysathemum shampoo for dogs and cats, it's all natural, it kills fleas, and makes them super shiny. Bengal, Dawn does kill fleas, it will NOT hurt the animal. It is made to NOT hurt animals. Although regular use of it will dry out a dogs skin.

Hurricane Jack answered on 11/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer