Five year old german shepard mixed with huskie got really skinny, what should I do?

Ok so this all started about a month or so ago. I noticed that he started eating his own poop and eating grass. I also noticed that he started eating reluctantly and so I decreased a bit of his food. After a bit he started getting drastically skinny, he went from 90 pounds to 70. We took him to the vet and they made a few tests and they gave us meds to give to him. When the results came back they found nothing. We mixed his dried food with canned food and he seemed to like it and I also tried increasing his food a bit, to try to get him to increase his weight. When I do add a bit more food he seems reluctant to eat the last few bites. The poop eating stopped but he eats grass once in a while. When he does eat grass he pukes it up. I'm scared that the reason he got so skinny was because I decreased his food in the first place. Either way I want to help him and I'm not so sure what to do because my parents are getting tight on money. Any help?

Asked by Member 1118916 on Jul 3rd 2012 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Eating grass means that he has an upset stomach, or some stomach infection. You should see another vet. Is he an active dog? If not try exercising and playing with him.

Chase

Continue to feed the doctor's meds, and continue feeding wet + dry together. Maybe switch his food. He may be reluctant to eat it because he just doesn't like it anymore. Or, if he is your only dog you can try free feeding him until he puts on weight.
And dogs eat grass all the time. Not just because they have upset stomachs. Chase eats grass every single day. She loves it.

Chase answered on 7/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Starbutt

try puppy food most dogs will eat puppy food you can get canned puppy food try to get lanb and rice or chicken and rice or something mixed with rice. The puppy food has more calories and I think it taste better.

I am not big on mixing Canned to dry but some dogs like this you can also try to get some chicken broth or beef broth and warm the broth up not to hot but just till luke warm mix it with the dog food now not all of it just enough to cover it all make sure it is not maush but it can coat the dog food I think this should be first before you go to the puppy food and canned food.

Rhayden

Starbutt answered on 7/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer